City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Distribution Engineer - ( 22000459 )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal and hydro generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
In this position as a Distribution Engineer, you will have the opportunity to work as part of a team of engineers and technologists on multiple projects for a range of public and private sector clients. Your duties will include taking responsibility for project deliverables as Engineer-of-Record. You will guide and mentor junior level staff and be responsible for applying engineering knowledge, concepts and professional judgement acquired through experience. You will interface directly with utility and industry clients and stakeholders to effectively manage project deliverables, with a focus on quality and team collaboration.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Acts as Engineer-of-Record for projects and/or project components of varying degrees of complexity
- Provides guidance, training and mentorship for engineers and designers
- Prepares and revises documentation in various phases of design and construction, including plans, diagrams, and details
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating
- Performs detailed design for power distribution systems which includes overhead and underground systems
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Participates in constructability review
- Conducts quality assurance and implements quality control frameworks on own projects
- Conducts reviews of project deliverables produced by peers and subordinate engineers
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all size projects
- Assists with the development of proposal for projects
- Oversees and manages multiple projects
- Conducts and/or oversees field reviews required to assess as-built conditions.
- Conducts and/or oversees construction phase services, responds to RFIs, reviews shop drawings, and conducts reviews of construction for general conformance with design
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Overhead and underground distribution line design experience serving for North American utilities
- Working knowledge of power structure analysis software such as SPIDAcalc, PLS CADD, or similar, is an asset
- Attention to detail and accuracy; Knowledge of Canadian Electrical Code and electrical design principles
- Knowledge of Engineering/Design Standards and Codes are an asset.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively work and collaborate with a wide range of internal and external customers.
- Strong leadership and analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to lead a group of designers and drafters, pay attention to detail and continual diligence to follow-up. Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Well organized, with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects
- Must be able to be a part of cross-functional teams with the ability to relate well and cooperate with other members of the team, to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals
- Experience in project management considered an asset
- Field review and commissioning experience is considered an asset
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and timelines
- Class 5 driver’s license and focused on safety
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized and accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years of detailed design experience in power distribution for utilities within North America
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in AB and BC. Registration in other Canadian Provinces and PE registration will be considered an asset
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-Canada West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 7, 2022, 6:16:56 AM
Req ID: 22000459
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans