Director, Underwriting Operations
City : Montreal
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
Are you a client & advisor centric leader who has a passion to deliver an exceptional service? Are you focussed on operational excellence, thrive as a problem solver and always looking for continuous improvement opportunities?
If so, then consider joining the Insurance Operations SLFD New Business & Underwriting Leadership Team. This role is responsible for providing strategic and operational leadership, delivering client & advisor service excellence, and driving our strategy forward. The specific mandate is to lead both the Underwriting and Vendor Support teams into the future. These teams work together to support New Business Underwriting, evidence collection and escalations in a timely and accurate manner, all while evolving our digital capabilities to become more flexible and responsive to market, legislative and business demands. These teams work closely with other Insurance teams, as well as many other business partners across Operations (Canada and Asia) and Retail Advice & Solutions.
What will you do day-to-day?
- Develop, execute, and oversee OKR’s (Objectives, Key Results) to achieve business goals and service standards
- Identify efficiencies and lead opportunities to eliminate failure demand, streamline processes and eliminate waste
- Advance and lead our digital first mandate
- Monitor, forecast and plan volume and resource needs
- Develop, monitor, and provide input into the annual budget process
- Champion, lead and manage change across the team and on various projects
- Support, manage and facilitate both internal and external business partner relationships
- Handle complex escalated cases and service recovery situations act a senior contact for Field Leaders and Advisors
- Foster a work environment that values people and encourages participation, learning and empowerment in alignment with our brand
- Lead/coach/develop a diverse, talented, and highly engaged team, in multiple sites, focused on delivering business results. Provide coaching and performance management using data, strong visual management and transparency of goals and metrics
- Drive a high-performance culture that leverages data as well as internal strategies such as, Client for Life, Owner’s Mindset, BOLDER, OKRs, DARE decision making
- Develop, implement, maintain, and monitor internal controls and governance for all operations including business processes, reporting and compliance to ensure achievement of objectives
What do you need to succeed?
- Minimum 5 years of progressive operations management experience
- Strong leadership skills with ability to navigate complex and rapidly changing environments.
- Lean methodology training and knowledge (Green Belt preferred)
- Intermediate/Advanced Tableau experience, ability to use data to assess trends, build recommendations and support effective decision making
- Strong problem solving, analytical and decision-making skills
- Service-oriented, can-do attitude with strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with our internal and external partners
- Proven skills in creating a vision and roadmap while delivering results quickly.
- Excellent relationship and communication skills (written and oral) including the ability to negotiate
- Bilingualism (French, English) required- interactions with English-speaking customers or partners* For Quebec only
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- A track record of leading change successfully
- High level of Life and Critical Illness Underwriting and Reinsurance knowledge
- Knowledge of Sun Life operating environment, Sun Life products, and business unit interactions
- Bilingual (English and French)
- Obtained or working towards AALU or FALU designation
What's in it for you?
- Being a member of the Sun Life family, a group of people united by our Purpose: to help Clients and Employees achieve lifetime financial security and live healthier lives
- Being part of our journey in developing the next greatest digital experience
- A friendly, collaborative, and inclusive culture
- Focus on career development
- A collaborative and interactive team environment
- Working together, sharing common values, and encouraging growth & achievement
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range:105,000/105 000 - 165,900/165 900
Job Category:Customer Service / Operations
Posting End Date:14/03/2023