Director, Tax Planning & Advisory – Compensation & Benefits
City : TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Category : Finance | Accounting
Industry : Financial/Banking
Employer : RBC
Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
- Serve as the primary global HR Liaison by:
- Acting as a point of contact for the enterprise’s global network of compensation, benefits, incentives and mobility professionals;
- Teaming with our global tax specialists in relation to cross border mobility, and compensation and benefits matters;
- Acting as a domestic income tax advisor in Canada for the enterprise in respect of a broad range of Canadian tax matters relating to compensation, benefits, pensions, bonus plans, cash and stock based incentives and other incentive plans, and employee mobility matters (including assessing provincial and Canadian permanent establishment rules and the application of treaties);
- Assessing tax implications of compensation packages (including benefits, pension and bonus and other incentive plans) and employee mobility matters (including those specific to indigenous individuals);
- Providing advice and support in relation to tax audits, appeals and litigation;
- From time to time, assist the Sr. Director, Tax Planning & Advisory with income tax planning and advisory matters including:
- Supporting enterprise business platforms including, in particular, Capital Markets;
- Providing advice in relation to acquisitions, dissolutions, structured finance, structural reorganizations, etc.;
- Monitoring legislative tax developments and assessing their impact; and
- Assisting with the development and implementation of mitigation strategies and the delivery of major tax projects
- A bachelor’s degree with CPA designation, license to practice law in Canada or MTax degree
- 5+ years of tax experience in an accounting or law firm or in industry providing tax advice and consulting on general compensation plan design and employee mobility, and assessing tax implications of compensation packages, benefits, pensions, bonus and other incentive plans, and mobility matters
- Talented at analyzing and researching complex issues and developing innovative solutions to optimize tax positions and policies to mitigate tax risks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt communication style based on audience and synthesize complex technical concepts into plain language
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively with all levels of employees across functional and business areas and to maintain positive relationships throughout the organization
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of challenges and opportunities and see them through to resolution
- Ability to lead consultations with, and manage outside tax advisors
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently with moderate to minimal supervision in a fast-paced, dynamic team oriented environment
- A strategic and continuous learning mindset with a desire to stay on top of tax technical changes in Canada and abroad
- Strong planning and organizational skills and ability to manage multiple completing priorities
Nice to Have
- Tax experience relating to financial institutions preferred
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.