Director, Procurement Services (Ottawa (Downtown), ON, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Director, Procurement Services
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada. No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in our environment.
Building on the principles that have always guided us – excellence, integrity and respect – we strive to be forward-looking and innovative, to welcome people with diverse perspectives and talents, and to earn trust by living up to our commitments and by clearly explaining the intent of our policies and actions.
With our defined-benefit pension plan, benefits, and high flexibility for work life balance - find out more about why we are annually ranked as one of Canada's top employers: Working Here - Bank of Canada
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.
Did you know?
The Bank of Canada is Canada’s central Bank and a federal Crown Corporation. The Bank has a mandate to promote the economic and financial welfare of Canada by fostering a stable and efficient financial system. The Bank does this by providing central banking services, including liquidity and lender-of-last-resort facilities, overseeing and acting as the resolution authority for critical financial market infrastructures, conducting and publishing economic analyses and research and helping to develop and implement policy.
What you will do
As a senior leader in the Executive and Legal Services Department you will report directly to the Assistant General Counsel and lead the Bank’s team of approximately 10 to 12 experienced procurement professionals. You will have responsibility for establishing the overall direction for the group which is a centre-led strategic sourcing operation supporting the Bank’s mandate. You will also lead the group in the performance of the function of a second line of defence in the Bank’s risk management structure.
You will be responsible and accountable for the provision of overall leadership including:
- Governance and monitoring of procurement policies, guidelines and practices to ensure alignment with the Bank’s mandate and best practices
- Developing processes and structures to ensure best value, fairness and integrity, as well as strong compliance with procurement policies
- Short to long term priority planning in support of the Bank’s Strategic Plan, the annual departmental planning process and the procurement services roadmap.
- Ongoing and effective client service delivery, oversight of day-to-day operations, management of procurement, legal and third-party risks
- Continuous innovation and modernization aligned to service excellence, evolving business and operational needs, data/digital advancement, and best practices
Specifically, you will:
- develop and set a medium to long term vision and strategic plan aligned to business and operational objectives
- develop and steward the Bank’s Procurement Policy and Procurement Policy Guidelines, providing strategic and tactical advice to internal clients
- provide leadership, direction and coaching to Procurement team, establishing and managing objectives and priorities
- oversee budgets and resource requirements and manage related interdependencies and risks
- review, approve and/or sign requisitions, contracts, amendments as per delegated authority
- build strategic key relationships inside and outside the Bank to effectively manage priorities, planning and risks
- lead or support innovation to drive improved project outcomes and quality of client services
- oversee the Bank’s procurement processes and critical operations, including relevant contracting modules within the Bank’s SAP procure-to-pay system, and development of evolving and future data and digital requirements
- partner with the Bank’s Enterprise Risk Management team to integrate third party risk management processes in the Bank’s procurements
- address human and financial resources matters including management of team budget, team training, employee recruitment, etc.
What you need to succeed
You have extensive knowledge of public procurement principles and best practices as well as knowledge of risk management processes and practices, and strong negotiation skills. You have expert knowledge of procurement practices and experience contributing in a significant capacity to complex, solution-oriented projects. You have experience leading groups through strategic change to meet organizational goals, particularly in aspects related to decision making and generating consensus. You have worked with suppliers and managed supplier relationships, organizational working relationships and have objectively managed competing stakeholder interests. You possess experience developing policy and procedures and mechanisms to ensure compliance.
In addition to your technical skills, you have competencies in leadership and communication and you possess strong diplomatic, facilitation, influencing, collaborative and consensus-building skills. You can function both independently and as part of a team, working closely with legal counsel, finance, risk and IT professionals.
- knowledge of SAP
- knowledge of SharePoint
- experience with procurements and best practices for complex IT technology and software, facilities management, information and data, professional and consulting services
- experience developing and implementing Environmental Social Governance (ESG) procurement strategies AND/OR data and digital transformation projects within a procurement and/or contracting environment
- knowledge or experience in third party risk management
Your education and experience
This position requires a a completed postgraduate designation such as MBA, CA or LLB or any other relevant completed university degree, a minimum of 10 years of progressive and recent work experience in a procurement capacity, or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
What you need to know
- Language requirement: English and French essential (bilingual) with a minimum starting level of functional (level 4) in second official language. Training may be provided to help reach the required level of fully functional (level 5) in second official language.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Be eligible to obtain Secret
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
Hybrid Work Model #LI-Hybrid
The Bank offers work arrangements that provide employees with flexibility, enable high-performing teams, and support an excellent workplace culture. Most employees can telework from home for a substantial part of each month as part of the Bank`s hybrid work model, and they are expected on site at the Bank location a minimum of eight days per month to help build connections between colleagues. You must live in Canada, and within reasonable commuting distance of the office.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career. For more information on key benefits please visit A great deal to consider.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $139,960 to $163,700 (job grade 20)
- The Bank offers an incentive for successfully meeting expectations at 7 to 10% of your base salary. The Bank offers performance pay for those who exceed expectations (15% of your base salary).. Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension #LI-POST
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.