Director of Development, Core Technology
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1B6
Category : Technical Directors/Managers
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 176765
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
We are looking for a Director of Development to join our International Banking team in Scotiabank. The Director of Development is responsible for leading and managing the development of new technologies within an organization. This role requires a strong technical background, as well as excellent leadership, communication, and project management skills.
Director of Development will work closely with cross-functional teams to identify new technology opportunities and develop strategies for bringing them to market. They will oversee the entire development process, from concept to launch, and ensure that projects are completed on time, within budget, and to the highest quality standards. Will be responsible for collaborating with our development and operations teams to ensure that our applications are running smoothly and efficiently. They will also be responsible for automating the deployment process, monitoring system performance, and troubleshooting any issues that arise, but also to mentor growing developers to enhance your leadership skills.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a proven track record of successfully developing and launching new technologies, as well as strong leadership and project management skills. They should also have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders. A bachelor's or master's degree in a related field, such as computer science or engineering, is required. Spanish / English Required.
If you are an experienced Director with a strong developer-focused mindset, keen interest in modernization and innovation, and thrive in a fast-moving environment - this is the position for you!
What will you do?
- Leading and managing a team of engineers and developers
- Identifying new technology opportunities and developing strategies for bringing them to market
- Overseeing the entire development process, from concept to launch
- Ensuring that projects are completed on time, within budget, and to the highest quality standards
- Building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, including customers, partners, and vendors
- Staying up-to-date with industry trends and emerging technologies
- Providing technical guidance and mentorship to team members
- Managing budgets and resources effectively
- Work with Scotiabank infrastructure teams to maintain and support infrastructure and services under management
- Lead root cause analysis to in-scope systems, identify improvements, and drive to implementation.
- Develop operational plans, processes, and procedures to improve service delivery and resiliency
- Responsible for the development of software tests or QA, that allows to verify the quality of the code, the regression and functional tests automatically.
- Facilitates and ensures that all the Bank's stakeholders can understand, in simple terms, the technological solutions proposed in order to ensure that they are apt/adequate for the client/user.
- Transmits, applies and promotes both the adoption of the agile philosophy and principles, as well as the use and development of different continuous quality improvement techniques.
- Leads a continuous improvement strategy with the Development teams, working with them to identify problems, search for possible solutions and apply them, in an iterative model that allows them to continuously improve their performance as a team.
- Promotes a high performance environment and implements a workforce strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates your team, and to achieve this, fosters an inclusive work environment with room for learning through experimentation, communicates the vision, values and business strategy and manages a succession and development plan for the team.
- Understands the Bank's risk culture and how risk appetite should be considered in daily activities and decisions.
- Lead by example and mentor growing developers in the team.
- Support production issues and handle escalations during the day as well as off-hours.
What do you need to succeed?
- You’ve been either a Senior Manager or Director in a large product team and seen how different components of a complex architecture come together to deliver a product.
- You are passionate about designing and developing highly available, reliable, and scalable enterprise systems.
- You are an excellent communicator, planner and visioner, able to influence decision making across stakeholders.
- You have competency to lead team members with differing opinions and levels of experience.
- You can map and execute short- and long-term plans for the team.
- You love what you do but you are seeking a more challenging environment.
What's in it for you?
- We have an inclusive and collaborative working environment that encourages creativity and curiosity and celebrates success
- We provide you with the tools and technology needed to create meaningful customer experiences
- You'll get to work with and learn from diverse industry leaders, who have hailed from top technology companies around the world
- We hire you for your talent — not just a job — so you can grow with us. We’ll equip you for success not only in your role, but also in your career as a whole
- Access to thousands of online and in-person courses so you can hone your current skills, or learn new ones
- A competitive rewards package that includes a base salary, a performance bonus, company matching programs on pension and profit sharing, paid vacation, personal & sick days, medical, vision, and dental benefits that start from day one and much more
Work conditions: In-Office/Hybrid/Remote
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.