Director Legal Affairs Treasury
City : Montreal, Quebec
Category : Permanent Full-Time
Industry : Legal
Employer : National Bank
We are looking for a legal director who loves a challenge, wants to innovate and would like to experience personal growth on a dynamic and multidisciplinary team.
You will be required to accompany the Bank’s Corporate Treasury in its activities, to monitor the Bank's funding programs and ensure they are compliant with applicable laws, participate in public and private market funding transactions and provide securities law advice.
This position reports to the Senior Director– Partnerships, Treasury and Innovation in the Bank's Legal Affairs department.
Your main challenges:
- Be a leader for securities matters involving the Bank's status as an issuer: serve as a resource person and counsel to Corporate Treasury and various internal parties, as well as support the lawyers in Legal Affairs.
- Participate in capital, debt and covered bonds issuances, as well as in the Bank's securitization, term funding and institutional deposit-taking operations.
- Ensure funding programs are compliant with applicable laws and monitor the industry in order to understand and anticipate trends in securities law, capital markets, banking regulations and funding activities in the banking industry.
- Identify the risks associated with the Bank's practices as an issuer on public and private markets.
- Build strong relationships and coordinate communications with outside law firms that support the Bank in its funding activities.
- Take part in discussions and make recommendations that lead to decision-making likely to have a financial and strategic impact on the Bank as an issuer.
- Sit on internal and external committees, and take part in special projects that require expertise in securities.
- Be proactive in your work environment, in particular by making recommendations aimed at improving the quality of services, systems and processes.
- Bachelor's degree in law and a minimum of 8 years' experience
- Member of the Barreau du Québec, Ontario or New York
- Experience in securities law and capital markets
- Team spirit and interpersonal skills
- Focused on client experience
- Diligence and attention to detail
- Practical and pragmatic
- Ability to multitask
- Good judgment and business acumen
Your benefits In addition to competitive compensation, upon hiring you’ll be eligible for a wide range of flexible benefits to help promote your wellbeing and that of your family.
- Health and wellness program, including many options;
- Flexible group insurance
- Generous pension plan
- Employee Share Ownership Plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Preferential banking services
- Initiatives promoting community involvement
- Telemedicine service
- Virtual sleep clinic