Director, Latin America Tax – Bilingual (English/Spanish)
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H3Y2
Category : Customer Service Representative
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 183697
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
- Department: Taxation
- Business Line: Finance
- Reports to: VP, International Taxation & Global Tax Planning
- Direct Reports: Sr. Manager, International Tax LATAM
This role assists the VP, International Taxation & Global Tax Planning in international tax planning/advisory/reporting/compliance activities for countries in the Latin America region.
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
- A developed knowledge of the tax laws of Spanish-speaking foreign jurisdictions (“Latin America”) in which Scotiabank operates.
- Monitoring impact of major legislative changes in Latin America and monitoring changes in the foreign operations of the Bank to ensure related tax effectiveness. Assisting subsidiaries and business lines in understanding and complying with Latin American tax laws (as modified by tax treaties) as appropriate for cross-border and domestic transactions.
- Oversight of the non-Canadian/US tax litigation; including reviewing and updating on a quarterly basis.
- Liaising with staff in Latin American countries, as well as with external advisors, regarding tax information and/or advice with respect to various transactions as required.
- Organizing and assisting on implementation of international projects.
- Providing instruction and guidance to the Senior Manager, International Tax LATAM with respect to consulting and planning matters.
- Assist with Canadian Tax Compliance on Latin American subsidiaries.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? - We'd love to work with you if you have:
- Tax Accountant or Lawyer with a minimum of 7 years of Taxation experience and tax experience working in at least one Latin American country in which Scotiabank operates. Demonstrated ability to oversee complex tax matters.
- Ability to speak Spanish.
- Working knowledge of several Latin American taxation systems.
- Ability to research Canadian and international tax issues and communicate findings from such research to customers within the Global Bank.
What’s in it for you?
- An inclusive & collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We offer a competitive rewards package: Performance bonus, Employee Share Ownership Program, and Pension Plan Matching, Health Benefits from day one!
- Your career matters! You will have access to career development and progression opportunities.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.