Director, International Admissions and Student Services
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday; 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: $104,262 - $139,013
Posting Date: November 7th, 2022
Closing Date: November 14th, 2022 at 7:00 pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Director, International Admissions and Student Services
Working under the leadership of the International department, the Director, International Admissions and Student Services leads strategic direction, management and growth while providing oversight and leadership to the International Admissions and Student Services teams. The incumbent is accountable for the planning, development and delivery of a comprehensive admissions model and process to achieve the College’s Strategic Enrolment Management (SEM) targets.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Oversees the work undertaken to support the admission and conversion strategies related to an annual set of enrolment objectives for international student admissions and enrolment of highly qualified candidates.
- Leads the planning and execution of initiatives, changes and processes with respect to the International Application Service (IAS).
- Identifies gaps or process improvement with current application processing, and works with IT and/or International to ensure improvements are made.
- Accountable for the performance of the college’s application and evaluation processes, admission selection processes, and all conversion activities related to the achievement of international enrolment targets.
- Accountable for the timely and accurate provision of applicant services.
- Responsible for the management of staff providing admission advising services
- Ensure applications are processed within the established level of service delivery while meeting delivery standards,
- Responsible for the overall quality, accuracy and timeliness of admissions and pre-admissions advisement, which includes ensuring staff provide prospective applicants, applicants, parents, agents and secondary school counselors with pertinent and arcuate information as it relates to the application, admission and registration process
- Provide guidance in the interpretation of regulations and requirements for indirect applicant sources (i.e. transfers, direct entry and partner schools etc.)
- Support escalated, complex admissions issues / appeals and monitors occurrences of escalations and identifies opportunities mitigate escalations in the future
- Ensure that articulation agreements are applied appropriately (i.e. 2+1, language pathways, scholarship programs etc.)
- Liaise with the Registrar’s Office on admission standards and opportunities for development
International Student Services
- Designs, implements and oversees a relevant set of International Student Services that positive position Mohawk College as a destination of choice.
- Provides institutional leadership in terms of immigration matters related to international students.
Human Resources and Development
- Facilitates the development of an effective and intentional communications plan to engage and encourage proactive participation and support of departmental initiatives.
- Monitors and manages engagement using different tools, while embedding change management techniques to increase commitment.
- Promotes a high level of performance through effective recruiting, selecting, developing, motivating, evaluating, training and development of staff for which incumbent is responsible.
- Recruiting, managing and retaining a team of highly effective staff to achieve the college enrolment targets for all intakes by admitting the most highly qualified applicants to all Mohawk College programs.
- Evaluate the long term goals of the department to create opportunities for staff who display leadership, technical and administrative potential for further advancement within the department or the College.
Budget and Planning
- Responsible for management of staffing resources and budget administration for the department for the prudent administration of the associated budgets.
- Responsible for the efficient and effective use of the operating funds allocated for staffing in the department, ensuring these are dedicated to core accountabilities.
- Expected to manage the departmental budget, identify anticipated expenditures of a non-recurring nature and to project costs associated with any new initiatives.
- Participates in the short and long-term planning process for the direction and development of the resources, services and facilities for the department, to ensure that they are current and supportive of the academic and student processes and of the Ontario college landscape.
College Initiatives, Business Processes & Policies
- Assists in the development and support of the College’s Strategic Plan, including the development of the Divisional & Departmental Operational plans.
- Expected to serve, and lead, internal College committees and taskforces to contribute to the strategic goals of the College, and to provide expertise.
- Represents the department and the College as required and ensures the college is abreast of admissions and educational trends and opportunities locally and globally.
- Expected to serve on external committees, task forces and provincial special interest groups as required.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships, contacts and memberships in professional organizations related to higher education as appropriate.
- Remain current with legislation affecting college admission practices from bodies such as Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU).
- Ensures compliance with relevant legislation, policies and procedures in the areas of: health & safety, human rights, equity, diversity, accessibility; also complies with collective agreements and terms and conditions of employment
- Ensures, and is accountable for, the efficient and compliant management of assets all formats, as well as the safeguarding of personal and confidential information as per established Policy and Procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- A four-year degree in a field related to college administration is required e.g. Business Administration, Business Development, Information Systems Management, International Relations, Public Administration or other relevant field of study.
- 7 years of related, progressive work experience required
- Demonstrated experience in international education, computer systems, student admission, registration, records and post-secondary education.
- Must be conversant with government and college policies and programs. Familiarity with strategies of international education and the economic and political impact of key market areas. Ability to lead cross cultural teams with proven results and be able to see and understand disparate perspectives.
- Sound decision-making, planning and management skills.
- Ability to effectively use consultative and facilitation skills to gain consensus to ideas and projects
- Demonstrated conflict resolution and negotiation skills, especially in situations requiring cultural sensitivity
- Excellent written communication and analytical skills.
- Sound knowledge of administrative policies and procedures, especially with respect to the functions, policies and procedures of the college and related ministry directives.
- Must be able to work in stressful situations.
- Knowledge of International Admissions systems
- Must be able to work with critical inflexible deadlines. Demonstrated ability to deliver multiple discrete projects on time and on budget while maximizing the benefits to the organization.
- Strategic thinker
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Nice-to-have abilities include:
- Previous training as a Business Analyst, Project Manager and/or Prosci ADKAR certification an asset
- RCIC certification is an asset
- Ability to speak and write in a second language is an asset
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/