Director, Human Resources Operations
City : Halifax
Category : Human Resources
Industry : Transportation equipment manufacturing
Employer : J.D. Irving
DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES OPERATIONS
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding is proud to be Canada’s National Shipbuilder. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of the largest defence procurement project in Canadian history.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on these vessels. We are committed to building the best ships, with the best workforce in the best facilities. By joining our team of more than 2,300 shipbuilders, you can enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly career with a company dedicated to your success, learning, health, wellness, and safety.
At Irving Shipbuilding, we’re making history – why not make it with us? Learn more about careers at Irving Shipbuilding: shipsforcanada.ca/opportunities.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Director, Human Resources Operations.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. (ISI) encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. ISI is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Education Required:
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- MBA/MIR and/or professional CPHR designation or equivalent
- Experience Required:
- 10+ years of Human Resources (HR) experience, preferably in a unionized environment
- 8+ years as a senior people leader with an HR team of 5 or more
- Depth of knowledge in a variety of HR competency areas
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and achieve required objectives.
- Demonstrated effective organizational, problem-solving, planning, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated use of sound judgment and reliable decision making
- Strong organizational skills and a high degree of self-motivation and business acumen
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Serving as a senior member of the HR leadership team
- Setting and executing the strategy of the HR organization in collaboration with the Vice President, other HR Director, and senior leaders
- Leading a team of HR professionals from multiple disciplines, including:
- Labour Relations
- HR Advisory Services
- Employee Relations
- Time and Attendance
- Maintaining close relationships, coordination, and collaboration with senior leaders and union officials across ISI and JD Irving to meet all program requirements and to ensure production schedules are met and organization-wide strategies are successfully implemented
- Enhancing the company’s well-established reputation for overall quality and customer service
- Developing the capability of the HR team as a whole and providing sound and engaging leadership
- Adeptly analyzing industry trends, HR best practices and evolving technology to proactively manage HR-related issues/grievances, maximize organizational effectiveness and further enhance organizational culture
- Leading the labour strategy to ensure business alignment, achievement of key metrics, and minimization of risk (including efficient and effective dispute resolution)
- Using strategic problem-solving and sound judgement to anticipate, communicate, and navigate challenges and opportunities within a complex work environment.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- RRSP matching program
- Health & Wellness reimbursements
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
- Relocation costs (if eligible)
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.