Director, Enterprise Data Architecture (Health Data)
City : North York
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
* Current or previous Health Data Domain experience as a strategic enterprise data architect is essential to this position. Please consider this criteria before applying *
We seek an experienced and high-performing individual to join our Enterprise Data architecture team as a Director, Enterprise Data Architecture. This leadership role is responsible for designing critical Health data systems in consultation with Sun Life’s Business and enterprise partners, including the holistic alignment of technologies, standards, and practices that enable Sun Life to deliver world class Health data and analytic systems. The Data Architecture team is an evolving group leading Sun Life in the application of leading-edge solutions for Sun Life business opportunities. This role will directly report into the Chief Data Architect.
In this role you will lead the design and implementation of advanced data architectures such as Data Fabric & Mesh on cloud. This is an innovation opportunity to gain experience with AI and ML initiatives on cloud for voice and text data in the Health Data Domain. While we would prefer this experience, consider the AI aspect of this role a career development and learning opportunity!
What will you do?
- You’ll lead the Health Data strategy engagements with client executives and define data architectures for enterprise level engagements. You will also roll-up your sleeves to mentor and help the project team with complex technical issues
- Develop data patterns, define playbooks and technologies
- Analyze structural requirements for new software and applications in the Health Data domain.
- Lead technology POCs and pilots in the data and analytics domain in partnership with Data and analytics teams.
- Create and present Health Data tools/tech proposals and evaluations at EA Governance councils
- Provide leadership on the design & end-to-end solutions for building data & analytics applications on cloud and on-premise platforms
- Coordinate with Data life cycle management program in all aspects of the delivery
- Coordinate with the Data Science department to identify future needs and requirements in the Health Data domain
- Apply best practices to all solution architecture, design areas, including on-prem, Cloud/AWS, or a combination. This includes areas such as Operational Excellence, Security, Reliability, Performance Efficiency, and Cost Optimization.
- Mentor other data systems designers (Data Architects), both within your team and within other enterprise services or business units, in order to support solution development and application of best practices.
- Translate detailed requirements into functional specifications.
- Provide high level estimates for project proposals and solution designs.
- Work with the solutions design team to drive data & analytics strategy across enterprise
- Provides consultation for the evaluation of complex data and software systems.
- Strong hands-on experience in delivering data analytics solution with proven business value
- You’ll mentor, develop, and proactively support practice capabilities including recruiting and development of leaders
- Data, Business and Technical oriented.
- Partner with Data and Analytics delivery partners.
- Build and lead a team of data architects for delivery using Agile approach.
- Set up and provide governance on data architecture and technology standards.
What do you need to succeed?
- 5+ years of experience in managing Health Data systems that involves overall design, architecture and analytics.
- Approximately 15+ years of build/design experience related to data service design, building data architecture and leading end to end implementations.
- 3+ years with cloud based data architecture be it AWS, Azure, GCP or similar). AWS is preferred.
- Strong knowledge on MDM (Master Data Management), RDM, Data Modeling techniques, Data architecture patterns.
- Background of working with data governance and its application
- Experience in Machine Learning/AI methodologies and technologies such as Sagemaker, Azure Synapse Azure ML, R, Python, and Azure Data Bricks is preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience acting in the capacity Senior Project roles for sizable IT projects.
- Strong experience in delivering projects in Big Data related projects using Cloud tech ( AWS or Azure or GCP or similar), data lake technologies like Glue, EMR, Redshift, Lambda and open source technologies like Python, Spark, Hive, Data Lake, Cassandra
- Delivery experience in data analytics and visualization solutions using any modern age tools like SAS, AWS Sagemaker, R Studio, Tableau
- 5+ years in a financial services company (especially insurance) is preferred, but not necessarily required.
- Excellent documentation skills including technical writing, Visio, PowerPoint, flowcharting (5+ years)
- 5-7+ years’ experience in development, 3 of which in the capacity of Development and/or Design Lead.
- Extremely strong communication, critical thinking, and analytical skills. This includes skills such as conceptual requirements interpretation, solution creation, and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent collaboration and leadership skills, a proven ability to adapt to challenges, and a strong interest in coaching and mentoring colleagues.
- Experience with productionizing services at scale and related change management.
- Experience with project management and software development life cycle /SDLC; waterfall and agile (5+ years). Working experience on Kanban/Jira boards
- Proven experience in designing solutions for ODS, data warehouse system integrations
- Strong understanding of building DevOps pipelines for Data & analytics technologies. 3+ yrs. in DevOps (CI / CD) related technologies and must have implemented the same in 2-3 projects in the past
What’s in it for you?
- Great Place to Work® Certified in Canada and the US - 2022
- Great Place to Work® list for Best Workplaces for #HybridWork – 2022
- Great Place to Work® list for Best Workplaces for Professional Development in Canada – 2022
- Great Place to Work® list for Best Workplaces in Canada – 2022
- Named “Best Places to Work” by Glassdoor – 2021 and 2023
- Canada Award for Excellence for Mental Health at Work - 2021
- Flexible hybrid work model including in-country (Canada) work-from-home if you prefer. #LI-Remote, or #LI-Hybrid.
- Pension, stock and savings programs to help build and enhance your future financial security
- Work and professional development that is united by our Purpose: to help Clients and Employees achieve lifetime financial security and live healthier lives
- A friendly, collaborative and inclusive culture
- Be part of our continuous improvement journey in developing the next greatest digital enterprise experience.
- Competitive salary and bonus structure influenced by market range data
- A common sense dress code, where you decide how you dress based on your day
- The opportunity to move along a variety of career paths with amazing networking potential
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range:111,100/111 100 - 177,800/177 800
Job Category:IT - Application Development
Posting End Date:26/03/2023