Director Corporate Communications
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Location:||Toronto, ON (Hybrid)|
|Business Unit:||Corporate Relations, Stakeholder Engagement & Innovation|
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
As the Director, Corporate Communications, you will be the strategic leader for the IESO’s Internal and External Communications function and are responsible for working with the CEO and senior leadership across the company to create and maintain a proactive corporate narrative that supports the corporate strategy and enhances and protects the IESO’s reputation and brand. This role is also responsible for supporting all other business units across the organization in ensuring effective communication on a wide range of IESO and related business matters. In addition, the role is accountable for supporting leadership as needed, in managing both public facing issues that impact key relationships with media, governments, stakeholders, and indigenous communities, as well as any issues that impact the employee experience.
To achieve this, the Director ensures the development and implementation of communication and issues management strategies and plans for the IESO’s government affairs, stakeholder engagement, customer support, and employee communications, and IESO customer and corporate communications functions and all communication channels and strategies for the IESO corporate brand. This is a vital role supporting IESO in achieving its key corporate priorities and advancing and protecting its corporate reputation. This includes enhancing stakeholder confidence and employee engagement through the development and execution on strategies that connect the company’s actions and messages with a diverse and continuously evolving set of internal and external stakeholders.
What you’ll be doing
- In support of IESO business strategy will determine and develop the IESO’s overall communication direction and long-term strategies in Strategic Corporate Communications and Media Relations, including issues management.
- Create, implement, and effectively manage the IESO’s corporate communications strategy with customers, media, stakeholders, employees, government, indigenous communities, and the public to support positive and productive relationships.
- Develop and implement corporate communication strategies in collaboration with IESO customers, stakeholders, indigenous communities and employees to enable IESO to advance major initiatives and attain strategic objectives
- Oversee and ensure the dissemination of the corporate narrative, brand and messages across all platforms and audiences while ensuring the leadership team and the entire organization is aligned with its messages and actions. This includes across all stakeholder segments including employees, customers, media including social media, public, communities (including indigenous) and the provincial government.
- Oversee the development and implementation of communication, and support outreach strategies for IESO initiatives to demonstrate the value proposition to market participants, stakeholders, government, and regulators.
- Oversee development and implementation of the IESO’s media relations strategy and plan that includes media measurements and media training as needed; when appropriate, acting as spokesperson for the organization on select issues and providing support to executive as they respond to media.
- In support of HR strategies will oversee development and management of an employee communications program to support employee engagement, and keep staff informed about company objectives and developments, while providing feedback channels from staff.
- Responsible for the IESO’s communication strategies that support the corporate strategy and the corporate brand to protect the reputation of the company and enhance trust in IESO’s key initiatives
- Assumes the role of the Crisis Communications Director leading the Crisis Communications Team and ensuring that IESO employees, market participants, the media, the general public and other key stakeholders, including government and indigenous communities are provided with timely and accurate information regarding an emergency situation. The Crisis Communications Director is a primary media contact acting as corporate spokesperson.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of, communications strategies, systems, policies, processes, plans and measures to maintain and enhance IESO’s reputation.
- In collaboration with subject matter experts from across the IESO, develop communications strategies processes and programs designed to achieve the highest level of audience awareness, understanding and satisfaction. Champion and represent the experience of internal and external audiences and their perspectives across the IESO.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of a brand communications strategy and tactics to maintain and enhance IESO’s reputation as trusted advisor in order to inform and influence policy.
- Act as media spokesperson for matters affecting the company, as required.
- Lead the work programs, administration, and management of staff in the external facing teams (Corporate Communications, Digital, Creative and Marketing) to ensure that they are in line with business unit and corporate goals. The key activities and deliverables performed by these teams include speech writing, issues management, media relations, corporate communications, website creation and management, social media strategy, creative services, brand management, marketing and advertising.
- Create and implement internal and external communications strategies that reflect the corporate strategy and brand and further the company’s strategic objectives.
- Ensure the management of IESO’s Communication Policies and that they are refreshed and updated on a regular basis, including the French language policy.
- Accountable for managing the budget for contracts with a number of communications, marketing and design agencies in order to ensure they improve the success of Corporate Communications in a cost-effective way.
- Provide leadership, management, and supervision to staff, including full responsibility for hiring, staff development, training, performance management and performance reviews, salary matters, including dismissal, administering work programs and ensuring staff effectively meet their communication deliverables and related business needs and goals; ensuring quality, quantity, timeliness of work production to achieve business objectives.
- Manage and grow the brand by leading marketing and communications strategies which enhance understanding of the IESO's role, responsibilities, mission and values with key audiences and stakeholders through sponsorship, advertising, community-based partnerships and new media initiatives.
- Represent the IESO on senior cross-functional teams to positively influence outcomes.
- Participate as a management resource to resolve labour relations matters such as job challenges, grievances, and arbitration cases.
- As Director, be responsible for presenting management positions at staff grievances.
- Act as a resource and advisor, including frequent interaction with IESO Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors on matters related to Corporate Communications.
What you need to succeed
- University degree required
- Experience required to manage a broader base of activities within somewhat different Communications and Public Affairs arenas that impact implementation of IESO strategies, reputation and community perception/awareness; significant time/experience would be required to develop a strong industry network.
- Leadership experience to develop, empower and motivate people to achieve high performance.
- Ability to communicate with authenticity and clarity to inspire a shared purpose.
- Proven success in relationship management, interpersonal relationships, judgment and decision making and corporate reputation through creating and delivering on communications, stakeholder and customer relations strategies, plans and programs.
- Requires broad experience within the company to acquire sound insight and understanding of all facets of the organization.
- Requires extensive knowledge of the IESO structure and procedures, the Ontario electricity market and regulatory affairs in order to manage communication processes to support corporate objectives.
- A period of 10-15 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
To explore this highly regarded, impactful, and widely valued position, please contact Renée Young (email@example.com)
Be sure to apply for the position following this link: here
Please note that all information you provide, or that is provided on your behalf to the IESO as a candidate for this job listing, will be reviewed by and shared with the IESO’s third party executive search service provider, Boyden Canada, for the purposes of the IESO’s recruitment and selection process.
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO has implemented the hybrid Work Model Pilot Program The Model allows for remote working up to three days per week, based on business needs.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2022 Employers, and what we offer.