Director , Category Sales Development
City : Mississauga
Category : Other
Industry : Food/Packaging
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
The Opportunity:The Director of Category Sales Development is tasked with enabling a growth agenda across the Retail Sales organization and optimizing the fundamentals of execution. They are responsible for managing a team of Category Sales Development (CSD) Managers and a Sales Strategy Manager. Their primary focus will in the following areas of the business:
- Translating Marketing Brand & Category plans into Sales Execution Strategies. This includes developing annual category trade strategies to support the annual marketing plan and creating category stories to support the execution of the 4P (Price, Product, Place, Promotion) Trade Strategy across regions and channels
- Ensuring clear interface between Marketing and Sales and facilitating the planning process
- Develop and steward the ‘Sales Fundamentals’ by category (Developing Targets, Measuring Compliance, and Closing Gaps across the Distribution, Assortment, Pricing and Promotion framework). This includes working closely with our Customer Business Teams to ensure successful execution
- Enabling the successful execution of our Innovation Agenda (From ‘Playbook’ to Start-ship)
- Ensuring Key Seasonal Periods (Summer BBQ, Back-to-School, and Festive) are leveraged across all Customer Teams
- Owning Communication to Retail Sales for all Marketing driven initiatives. Develops Customer Facing Materials for new Product launches, Rationalizations, Etc.
- Developing and executing an annual rhythm in the business for sharing Industry/Market/Category/Shopper insights to enable more strategic partnerships and innovation alignment with our customer partners
- Are Process Owners for Playbook, Commercial Execution Meetings, and Sales/Marketing Collaboration Meetings
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Set direction, performance objectives, provide feedback and make key business decisions for Category Sales Development team
- Supports the Customer Sales Team in the development of category driven product launches, working with Marketing to ensure plans are embedded within Marketing while supporting the development of the selling stories leveraging the support of Marketing, Sales and Customer Insights.
- Builds and maintains knowledge base of competitors and consumer/customer trends in the marketplace/industry, integrating this information into strategic recommendations
- Leads the development of Gap Closing Initiatives.
- Develops category trade plans and leads the execution of sales tactics (plays) that deliver both the Sales (CAP Plan) and Marketing OGSP plans. This requires the development of clear trade plans grounded in the 4 P’s (Pricing, Product, Placement and Promotion).
- Creates and Leads the Integrated Category Planning Process between Sales and Marketing.
- Responsible for staying current with industry best practices and emerging best practices.
- Responsible to lead the Biannual Sales/Marketing Alignment Process (Playbook).
What You’ll Bring:
- At least 10+ years of progressive Sales and Marketing experience in managing customers, strategies, and business. .
- University degree in business or related area.
- Excellent financial and business acumen.
- Track record of delivering results focusing on overall profitability.
- Deep industry/market knowledge.
- Ability to understand Maple Leaf and customer goals and translate into clear and concise customer strategies with effective action plans.
- Ability to influence and leverage cross-functional resources (dedicated and/or shared) to identify and solve strategic issues.
- Exceptional story telling skills.
- Strong collaboration skills including listening, probing, identifying interests, and mutually solving problems.
- High energy, self-motivated, and proactive.
- Confidence and ability to respectfully challenge decisions and/or status quo.
- Ability to make quick and timely decisions and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, complex environment.
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
About Us:We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
A diverse and inclusive work environmentChampioning diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based cultureOur eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.