Director, Capital Markets Taxation & Tax Disputes
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H3Y2
Category : Customer Service Representative
Industry : Financial Services/Banking
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 191870
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
- Department: Global Taxation
- Reports to: VP, Capital Markets Taxation & Global Tax Disputes
- Direct reports: Senior Manager, Capital Markets Taxation and Tax Disputes
This role supports the VP, Capital Markets Taxation & Global Tax Disputes in advisory, planning and consulting in GBM and Treasury matters as well as tax controversy.
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
- Managing tax controversy files, including advice in respect of tax controversy in addition to the review and preparation of responses to audit queries and proposed adjustments received from Canadian and foreign tax authorities.
- Taking a lead role in capital markets and wholesale banking tax advisory and consulting. Liaising with staff in other areas of the Bank or its subsidiaries, as well as with external advisors, regarding tax information and/or advice with respect to various transactions as required.
- Providing timely and accurate tax risk assessment and analyses in respect capital markets, wholesale banking, and treasury related activities and initiatives, including identification of tax issues consistent with the Bank’s reputational risk appetite.
- Working with external advisors, as needed, for purposes of executing on the accountabilities in 1, 2, and 3, and specifically in relation to determining general, operational, reputational related tax risks.
- Providing leadership by maintaining a working knowledge of tax rules of the various jurisdictions as relevant to capital markets, wholesale banking, and treasury related activities as well as tax anti-avoidance rules of those jurisdictions. Monitoring impact of major legislative changes in foreign jurisdictions as they relate to these businesses.
- Supporting capital markets business lines and securities operations groups in understanding and complying with foreign jurisdictions tax rules as modified by tax treaties as appropriate, for cross-border transactions (and any hedge related activities), including repos/reverse repos, securities lending, swaps and other derivatives and transactions generally.
- Managing effective relationships with senior personnel and colleagues in capital markets business lines and Treasury regarding business line specific income tax matters and planning.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? - We'd love to work with you if you have:
- Tax lawyer with a minimum of 5 years Canadian Taxation and related experience.
- Completion of CICA In-Depth Tax Courses (1-3), Master of Laws – Taxation is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee complex tax matters.
- Skills and experience commensurate with Director/ Vice President role in front office.
What’s in it for you?
- An inclusive & collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We offer a competitive rewards package: Performance bonus, Employee Share Ownership Program, and Pension Plan Matching, Health Benefits from day one!
- Your career matters! You will have access to career development and progression opportunities.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.