Director, Capital Markets – Quantitative Research Strategies
City : Toronto, Canada
Category : Investments
Industry : Financial Services
Employer : Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan - OTPP
With CA$247.2 billion in assets as of December 31, 2022, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (OTPP) stands as the largest single-profession pension plan in Canada and ranks among the world's largest. As an independent organization, OTPP actively manages the pension fund's assets and oversees the pensions of approximately 331,000 active and retired teachers in Ontario. The organization boasts a global presence with offices in Toronto, New York, London, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Singapore, and San Francisco.
Within the Capital Markets group at OTPP, the Quantitative Strategies and Research (QSR) team operates as a dynamic, innovation-driven investment team focused on managing fully systematic portfolios that align with the growth objectives of the Fund. We specialize in providing absolute return strategies ("alpha") and we manage multi-billion dollar portfolios, specifically in the managed futures and global equity market-neutral domains.
To enhance our team's capabilities, we are seeking an experienced and talented individual based in either London (UK) or Toronto (Canada) to join us as Director. In this pivotal role, you will contribute deep and specialized expertise in a field complementary to our existing skillset, driving strategic research initiatives and fostering innovation. Reporting to the Managing Director (QSR), you will lead an area of research within our flexible working group structure. Additionally, you will play a crucial role in the senior Technical Leadership team, providing overall technical guidance, direction, and support to all our areas of research.
Who you’ll work with
QSR is a close-knit team of 15 and a key part of Capital Markets, a dynamic department of over 100 investment professionals specializing in different liquid asset classes. Our team members, with diverse backgrounds from top hedge funds, universities, and pension funds, specialize in research, portfolio management, data science, and quantitative development. United by a passion for understanding market drivers, we employ tools like machine learning and portfolio theory to rigorously test ideas and enhance our portfolios. Our culture is entrepreneurial, collaborative, and results-driven, fostering creativity and innovation in the fast-paced realm of quantitative investment.
What you'll do
- Bring Unique Expertise: Contribute your distinct expertise, complementing the skillsets of our team members, to lead one of our research domains and help improve our portfolios.
- Active Research Participation: Engage ‘hands-on’ within our flexible working group structure, taking direct accountability for overall progress and the research agenda of your area of focus.
- Technical Leadership: Play a pivotal role in the Technical Leadership team alongside the Managing Director, Senior Managing Director, and other Directors, offering technical oversight, direction, and support to all working groups.
- Talent Development: Lead by example as you guide and support junior team members, providing thought leadership and practical guidance to help them overcome challenges and foster the development of critical thinking and pragmatism.
- Portfolio Accountability: Take ownership of QSR's portfolios, leading a Portfolio Management Team on a rotating basis, and share responsibility with the Managing Director in presenting and discussing QSR portfolios at broader forums.
- Process Improvement: Demonstrate curiosity and initiative in actively contributing to process enhancements and generating innovative research ideas that elevate the team's effectiveness.
What you'll need
- Relevant Experience: Possess a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience within a top-tier quantitative research team, with a strong preference for buy-side managed futures or quant equities institutions.
- Specialized Expertise: Bring in-depth knowledge and expertise in domains such as non-factor based systematic equity market-neutral alpha, specialized managed futures asset classes (FX, Fixed Income, commodities, or credit), or execution research.
- Educational Background: Hold a postgraduate degree in a quantitative discipline such as Engineering, Maths, Physics, Statistics, Quantitative Finance, Computer Science, or a related field. Financial qualifications such as CFA are considered a bonus.
- Entrepreneurial Mindset: Demonstrate an entrepreneurial mindset with a proven ability to drive a research area, coupled with a pragmatic approach and a willingness to tackle challenges hands-on.
- Software Development Proficiency: Exhibit a strong software development skill set with extensive programming experience in languages such as Matlab, Python, C#, SQL, etc.
- Quantitative Portfolio Management: Have direct experience managing quantitative portfolios with substantial assets under management, and bonus points for experience with both Futures and Equities asset classes.
- Communication Skills: Possess strong communication skills, with the ability to explain and simplify technical concepts for effective collaboration with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Team Collaboration: Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, collaborating with peers and partnering seamlessly with different teams.
- Talent Development Experience: Experience in leading and contributing to junior talent development is a significant bonus, showcasing your commitment to team growth and success.
What we’re offering
Pay-for-performance environment that offers competitive salary and incentive
Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development
Comprehensive employer paid benefits coverage
Retirement income through a defined benefit pension plan
The opportunity to invest back into the fund through our Deferred Incentive Program
A flexible/hybrid work environment combining in office collaboration and remote working
Competitive time off
Our Flexible Travel Program gives you the option to work abroad in another region/country for up to a month each year
Employee discount programs including Edvantage and Perkopolis
Degreed: a digital platform that helps you quickly and easily discover, share, and track various learning resources — from courses to videos to articles and more
At Ontario Teachers', diversity is one of our core strengths. We take pride in ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create, reflect and embrace diversity of thought, background and experience. Through our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategy and our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), we celebrate diversity and foster inclusion through events for colleagues to connect for professional development, networking & mentoring. We are building an inclusive and equitable workplace where our talent is respected, accepted and empowered to be themselves. To learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, check out Life at Teachers'.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Apply today! You may be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application.
Accommodations are available upon request (firstname.lastname@example.org) for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.