Digital Skills Technician – Initiatives & Opportunities (April 2023 – April 2025)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Initiatives & Opportunities (April 2023 - April 2025)
Hours: Monday to Friday; 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Pay Band: G
Pay Rate: $30.87
Posting Date: April 28th, 2023
Closing Date: May 12th, 2023 at 7:00pm EST
Please be advised that according to Full Time Support Staff Collective Agreement, Article 17.1, preference will be given to qualified employees within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit, Appendix D (in the role for 6 consecutive months) and RPT employees who have passed probation at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Digital Skills Technician
Reporting to the Manager, Digital Skills Services, the Digital Skills Technician provides on-demand support for faculty and students (referred to as customers) on a wide range of teaching and learning technologies.
The Digital Skills Technician fills an important role in the support of students and faculty in ensuring they are able to utilize technology effectively and with ease (digital fluency). This role provides support in troubleshooting issues within courses, new learning technologies, and creative digital experiences. Additionally, the Digital Skills Technicians work on agile teams with the Digital Learning Teams on projects where creation or conversion of courses requires digital asset creation.
There are multiple service points this team of Digital Skills Technicians will serve: virtual services including chat, email, telephone and drop-in metaverse spaces, and physical locations such as the Digital Experimentation Hub for faculty and the Digital Creativity Centre for students. The incumbents of this position will be scheduled to service points during expected working hours between 7:30 am and 7:30 pm, which vary depending on demand and semester timing.
The incumbent has professional skills in the design and creation of quality educational technology tools, resources, objects, and digitally rich media. In addition, the incumbent will research, explore, and test emerging new tools for digital teaching and learning. The incumbent works under the direction of faculty and Instructional Designers to build digital assets that enable the desired learning outcome. The incumbent also works with students to facilitate digital fluency in creative and emerging technologies.
Exceptional trouble shooting skills on a wide range of computers, operating systems, internet browsers, networks and teaching technologies including but not limited to Canvas, O365, Zoom, Teams, Kaltura, Miro, Kahoot!, Hypothes.is, Thinglink, NearPod etc, are a key part of this role. Creating experiences in H5P, articulate and other interactive technologies is also required.
This role requires the utmost in customer-centric service. The goal of this team is to support and increase the capacity of all students and faculty in digital skills competencies for the success of the Digital Learning Strategy.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
On-demand Technical Customer Support, Faculty and Students
- Provides responsive/on-demand support in person, by phone, email, chat, or through online platforms, to end users of learning technologies including but not limited to Canvas, Office 365, MS Teams, Zoom, Audio/Visual Tools, H5P, NearPod, digital textbooks, Panopto, Kaltura, etc. (new emerging technologies i.e. ARVR).
- Conduct on-the-spot assessments of customer’s digital skills to determine customers’ needs and identify appropriate approaches and solutions. Coach customer on improving their digital skills when they are approachable by recommending guides or other documentation.
- Monitors educational technology trends and stays current with emerging digital learning technologies.
Creation and Maintenance of Digital Content
- Under the direction of faculty / subject matter experts or Instructional Designers, support creation of technology mediated teaching resources, assets, and learning modules/objects.
- In collaboration with the Coordinator, Digital Skills Services, create digital materials to support workshops for students and faculty.
- Assist in creation and development of digital resources to support online learners including end-user guides, videos, animated gifs, etc.
Digital Application Skills Workshops and Events
- Create and deliver learning technology demonstrations/workshops to Faculty and Students on digital tool use.
- Participate in researching and designing short activities to promote the creative use of technology for skills development.
- Setup furniture and technology in academic technology spaces for events and workshops.
- Provide technical support to staff and students during classroom, college and marketing events.
- Promote and market the departmental services, including participation Open Houses and other events.
MakerSpace & Events
- Provide Digital Creativity Centre orientation/tours to promote services, equipment use and digital literacy through one-on-one, group sessions including students, faculty, staff, administration and student recruitment activities.
- Record usage data, nature of support calls and course/program/school it originates from as well as reporting usage data on various Academic Technologies such as 3D printing, AR/VR, multimedia studios, Chat bot etc.
- Provide input into continuous improvement and delivery of services to improve the student and faculty experience.
- Perform loaning transactions including signing equipment in/out, collecting fees for makerspace equipment (3D printing, laser cutting, Gimbals, electronics kits).
Other duties as Assigned
- Weekly shifts will include some evening shifts.
- Possible travel between campuses.
- This is an on-campus, in person role with some shifts having a virtual component.
The successful applicant must have:
- A 3 year diploma/degree in Computer Science, Computer Systems Technician, Computer Networking, Graphic Design, Multi-media Design, Digital Media Communications, Creative Industries or specific digital learning technology programs.
- A minimum of 2 years practical experience with: consultation and client service supporting multiple levels within an organization/remote-virtual learning technologies/design, development, delivery and evaluation of user training/design and development of digital learning technology (H5P, NearPod, digital textbooks, Kaltura, Thinglink etc./experience working within a Learning Management System, preferably Brightspace/Canvas.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/