Design Engineer – Mechanical
City : Edmonton, AB, CA, T6P 1P3
Industry : Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction
Employer : Shawcor
As the leading integrated energy services company, Shawcor is responsible for protecting the integrity of operational assets around the world.
Our continued success in our current markets and the unrelenting pursuit of our "growth vision" is possible by our valuable employees who embodies intellect, dedication and the highest form of professionalism.
At Shawcor, we continually seek individuals who share our values which includes; integrity, execution, and technology coupled with accountability, respect and always doing the right thing.
Our foundation is integrity, which is not only how we operate-it is the cornerstone of every product we engineer and project we undertake. It is the assurance we provide to each of our customers.
At Shawcor, we have created a true team environment where all employees are encouraged and empowered to contribute to the overall success of the company. A true team environment that fosters an environment of safety, leadership, the opportunity for growth, and a bright future!
We are interested in YOU!
The Mechanical Design Engineer is Responsible for:
- Responsible for the design and specification of mechanical equipment and process systems to ensure operation in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner. Assist with project management, procurement and construction activities associated with new or upgraded manufacturing facilities.
- Mechanical design of new coating facilities, process systems, and components to improve safety and productivity. Specification of mechanical and process equipment to meet customer requirements.
- Generate design/schematic drawings and process description documents for complex systems and equipment.
- Manage project execution activities including contracting, construction, and budget and schedule management.
- Provide on-site engineering and safety oversight during construction and commissioning phases of projects as required.
- Assist with procurement and expediting activities.
- Provide technical assistance to plants as required.
- Examine processes and reconcile functional, operational and maintenance requirements with engineering parameters: daily.
- Promote inherent safety in design and HSE priorities during site activities and field execution.
- Non-routine and relatively unstructured tasks that require application of professional judgment, specialized methods, and advanced techniques.
- Resolve engineering design conflicts that may occur throughout all stages of the project - daily.
- Resolve problems with equipment specification, procurement and delivery that may arise throughout the project - daily.
- Resolve schedule and budget problems involving supplier and subcontractors.
- Tasks can involve integration of requirements from civil, mechanical and electrical engineering disciplines:
- Complexity of tasks will vary with project size and composition, but will range from installation of replacment or upgraded equipment to design and construction of new manufacturing plants or process lines.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- Effective organizational skills including the ability to meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and manage the work of others, i.e. teams of Shawcor employees, contractors etc.
- Ability to conceptualize solutions and effectively communicate them both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent mechanical design ability and application of complex mechanical principles.
- Strong computer literacy in AutoCAD, Inventor, Solidworks PDM, MS Project and MS Office with special emphasis on Word and Excel.
- Bachlelor’s Degree – Mechanical Engineering
- 6 - 10 Years - Experience working in the design engineering and construction management profession is preferred. Industry experience should include heavy manufacturing with operations and processes of the size and scale encountered at Shawcor (e.g., combustion systems, movement of heavy products, multi shift production environment, involving equipment including hydraulic and electrically powered motors/actuators, chemical and abrasive cleaning, acid/water wash, heating/cooling of finished products, handling of raw materials [powder, plastic]).
We thank all applicants for their interest; however we cannot accept telephone calls regarding this position. All recruiting activities are managed via our applicant tracking system. Please apply online to be considered for this opportunity.
Shawcor welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. To begin a conversation about your individual accessibility needs throughout our recruitment process, please contact our HR team at email@example.com.