Design Draftsperson, Electrical
City : Toronto
Category : Electrical & Power Design
Industry : Public Transportation
Employer : Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)
Requisition ID: 7502
Number of Vacancies: View on TTC website
Department: Engineering (20000108) - Electrical & Power Design (30000234)
Salary Information: View on TTC website
Pay Scale Group: 7SA
Employment Type: View on TTC website
Weekly Hours: View on TTC website Off Days: View on TTC website Shift: View on TTC website
Posted On: May 19, 2023
Last Day to Apply: June 2, 2023
Reports to: View on TTC website
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America's third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC's vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC's recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing "a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy."
Reporting to the Chief Engineer – Electrical, the incumbent is responsible for preparing preliminary and final electrical drawings for various projects using CADD and manual drafting methods. The incumbent liaises and co-ordinates with various sections of the Engineering Department to check and ensure the coherence and consistency of information on preliminary and final drawings for the electrical components of projects.
Key Job Functions
• Preparing preliminary and final electrical engineering drawings using Bentley Microstation V8i CADD and/or manual drafting methods, and providing general design support for various projects related to industrial building services of transit facilities.
• Laying out and preparing design drawings from TTC design standards, engineers’ notes, rough sketches, verbal instructions and other engineering design softwares.
• Checking drawings against design requirements to ensure accuracy and completeness.
• Retrieving and reviewing existing facility drawings and specifications.
• Visiting project sites to determine, record existing conditions and conduct studies/surveys as directed.
• Conducting web searches, liaising with various manufacturing companies, and Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to collect technical information.
• Liaising and coordinating design work with other Engineering Department sections and TTC Departments.
• Assisting Engineers with the preparation of technical specifications and technical reports.
• Demonstrating behaviours that support diversity, inclusion, and a respectful work and service environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. Helping to remove barriers and accommodate employees and customers (within their area of responsibility) in accordance with TTC’s commitments and obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and Related Orders, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and TTC’s policies.
• Candidate will be required to participate in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program.
- Apply analytical skills
- Use office technology, software and applications
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
- Demonstrate knowledge of the industry and / or sector
- Provide specialized consultation
Education and Experience
• A Community College (2 year) Diploma in the field of Electrical Engineering Technology
• Several years of related drafting experience.
• Experience working with TTC CADD standards or other related corporate CADD standards, in a multi-discipline design environment.
• Proficiency in computer aided drafting specifically with the use of Microstation software and associated computerized applications.
• Sound knowledge of Microstation drafting and design principles, methods and practices applicable to electrical building services and equipment installations.
• Knowledge of the procedures and techniques for writing technical specifications specific to electrical installations.
• Good knowledge of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code and other applicable codes and regulations, building construction practices, and the properties of electrical power distribution equipment/materials.
• Proficiency with Bentley AECOSim or Autodesk Revit is considered a valuable asset.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; good organizational, verbal communication and technical report writing skills.
• Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees.
The TTC is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, anti-racism and inclusion in the delivery of its services and in its workplaces. The TTC is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities it serves at all levels of the organization, and supports an inclusive environment where diverse employee and community perspectives and experiences bring value to the organization. The TTC encourages applications from all applicants, including members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ(IA+) community. The TTC values and supports an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Accommodations for applicants are available upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process, including for those who identify as having a disability. Please contact Talent Management at (416) 393-4570. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The TTC’s policy prohibits relatives of current TTC employees from being hired, assigned, transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a conflict of interest due to a relationship. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise only those selected for an interview will be contacted.