Design Assistant – Power Lines
City : BURNABY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Design Assistant - Power Lines - ( 230004Y3 )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or designing challenging crossing spans over glaciers, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Our transmission line engineering group has an opportunity for a Design Assistant for our office at Burnaby (British Columbia), Calgary (Alberta), and Waterloo (Ontario). This opportunity is available to Technicians and Technologists who has experience with transmission and distribution line design and drafting. You will work on several power line projects under the guidance of a Transmission line Engineer/Designer in a dynamic, vibrant, and collaborative team environment. You will have the opportunity to learn and grow your career as transmission line designer.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Job requirement will include assisting the transmission line team with engineering and design services of overhead power transmission line projects and deliverables.
- Performs drafting in AutoCAD or MicroStation following industry codes and client standards.
- Preparing maps, layout and plans for power line route and right of way.
- Assists in the development of a design deliverables through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Preparing bill of materials for power line projects.
- Assisting Design Team with various project tasks, including researching, compiling and evaluating project data, preparing reports and performing calculations as instructed.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Participate in site visit as required.
- Attends project coordination meetings and communicate with internal team members and/or external consultants.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and spreadsheets.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD or MicroStation
- Familiarity with overhead power line (transmission or distribution) design and drafting.
- Any experience within utilities, EPC or consulting organizations will be an asset.
- Experience with GIS mapping is an asset.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and in teams.
- Time-management skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Good communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to effectively communicate project issues with the project team.
- Strong interest in developing new skills and career advancement.
Education and Experience
- College Degree/Diploma in Engineering or Technician/ Technology diploma in Civil, Electrical, or GIS.
- Minimum 2 years of experience preferably within transmission and distribution industry.
- Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $57,900 - $81,000 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 6, 2023, 3:46:26 PM
Req ID: 230004Y3
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans