Decarbonization Co-op Student
City : Sparwood, British Columbia, CA
Category : Students & Graduates
Industry : Mining/Quarrying
Employer : Teck
Start Date: September 2023
Duration: 8– 12 months
Location: Sparwood, BC and Vancouver, BC
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until all positions are filled
Why consider Teck Resources Ltd. for your Co-op placement?
Teck hires more than 200 co-op students each year to work at our various Canadian operations. Teck has been named as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers by Mediacorp Canada’s Top Employers program for the past six years, and was included in the Forbes World’s Best Employers 2021 list and Canada’s Top Employers for Young People 2022. Teck is also ranked #1 in the Minerals and Mining Industry on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for 12 consecutive years, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies.
Teck Coal Limited is the world’s second largest seabourne exporter of steelmaking coal. We have 4 mining operations located in the Elk Valley region in the beautiful Southeastern Rockies, BC. Our product is an essential ingredient to make steel which is used for building infrastructure as well as for clean energy projects like wind and solar power, to transportation alternatives like rapid transit and buses. Check out this link to learn more: Teck Coal Limited
Innovate with Teck
Digital technologies are redefining our industry and contributing to improvements in every step of the mining process. We improve our efficiency, safety, sustainability and growth by putting smarter ideas to work and crafting advancements in our technology and our practice. At Teck, we embrace new ideas, and employ them. Teck fosters a culture where employees are encouraged to bring ideas forward and implement technologies that can help make us a better company.
Professional benefits of working as a co-op with Teck Resources Ltd:
- Our values guide every decision we make as a company and as individual employees. Teck is led by our values of safety, sustainability, integrity, respect, excellence and courage
- The opportunity to work on exciting projects alongside a team of professionals who are specialists in their respective fields, you will experience a combination of projects in the field as well as in the office
- Competitive salary for our co-ops as well as assistance with travel costs and co-op fees
- Make an impression! Successful co-ops with Teck are given first consideration for professional positions upon graduation
- Working towards an Undergraduate degree in Mechanical or Environmental Engineering
- Comfortable working in a dynamic industrial work environment with a range of engineering, technical and operational personnel
- Willingness to work outdoors and able to operate vehicles at our operations, in various weather conditions and terrain
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with a capability to communicate complex ideas to all levels
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and a solid understanding of AutoCAD and Solidworks would be advantageous
- Participation in the health and safety programs of Teck to ensure that everyone on site goes home safe and healthy every day
- Monitor project budgets and identify inefficiencies and offer cost effective solutions
- Create and evaluate innovative ideas and technologies to help improve the way we do business
Decarbonization – Fleet Co-op (Sparwood, BC)
- Assisting in the analysis of fleet decarbonization initiatives
- Assisting the development & execution of the Electric Vehicle procurement and implementation strategy for the Coal Business Unit
- Assisting the project manager for the Caterpillar Zero-Emission Haultruck implementation
- Developing strategies for the implementation of other zero-emission vehicles in Coal Business Unit
Decarbonization – Emissions Co-op (Vancouver, BC)
- Forecast carbon emissions and intensity
- Modelling of decarbonization initiatives
- QAQC of existing financial and emissions models
- Research emerging decarbonization technologies
- Develop materials for internal and external communication
All students will be required to complete pre-employment drug testing prior to commencing work. Proof of a valid work permit will also be required, if applicable.
At Teck, we have a variety of flexible schedules that can offer you a work life balance. Teck also offers the chance to live and work in some of the world’s most amazing locations where year-round local attractions and recreational choices are unlimited for the outdoor enthusiast! We have world-class mountain biking, skiing, hiking and fly fishing all at your doorstep.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this exciting student work term opportunity, please include your resume and unofficial transcripts as part of your online application. Recruitment is ongoing, and applications will be reviewed as they are received.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.