Dean, Continuing Education and Academic Development
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday
Salary Range: $127,502 - $170,003
Posting Date: November 23rd, 2020
Closing Date: December 4th, 2020 at 7:00pm EST
Future Ready. Learning for Life.
We are currently recruiting for the next Dean, Continuing Education and Academic Development.
At Mohawk College, we value accountability and inclusivity. We are student focused. We engage our community, and we are committed to excellence in everything we do. These are the values that guide us as a college. They define our culture, inform our decisions, and drive our interactions with students and employees, and the communities we serve.
Established in 1967, Mohawk currently educates and serves more than 32,500 full-time, part-time, apprenticeship and international students at three main campuses, and at learning hubs and partner locations across Hamilton, Ontario. We are one of the top 10 colleges in Canada for applied research, and have been named one of Canada’s greenest employers six years in a row. Mohawk is also one of the region’s top employers. More than 130,000 Future Ready alumni have graduated from the college since it was founded.
Strengthening Mohawk’s leadership in equity, diversity and inclusion is a key priority for the college. We believe in providing everyone who learns and works at Mohawk with an inclusive, welcoming and supportive environment. Moreover, the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. Every senior leader at Mohawk is required to complete an intercultural assessment while workshops on equity, diversity and inclusion are available to all employees.
Our mission is to educate and prepare highly skilled graduates for success and contribution to community, Canada and the world. This mission can only be realized through the commitment and involvement of our faculty, staff and partners. Mohawk brings together a highly motivated and educated team of professionals who are committed to student success, and who are proud to work with more than 2,000 community and employer partners who share this commitment.
Interesting Facts About Mohawk College:
- Mohawk College endorsed the Government of Canada’s Dimensions Charter in 2019, committing the college to the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in all aspects of academic and research activity.
- Mohawk’s Fennell Campus is home to the country’s largest and first net zero energy institutional building to achieve dual certification for the Canada Green Building Council’s Zero Carbon Building Standard for The Joyce Centre for Partnership & Innovation.
- The college is recognized as a provincial and national leader in reducing barriers and ensuring access to education through City School and Challenge 2025.
- Mohawk holds a GOLD STARS rating from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) for its achievements in environment sustainability.
- Mohawk was the first college in Canada to offer a co-operative education.
- The college was also among the first to offer collaborative degree programs with university partners including McMaster University in Hamilton.
- Mohawk recently announced its first stand-alone degree, the new Bachelor of Digital Health (Honours).
- The college is one of the largest trainers of apprentices in Ontario.
The Dean, Continuing Education and Academic Development is a leader in providing innovative, industry-driven and special interest academic programming framed by a focus on the importance and value of lifelong learning. The Dean oversees and guides the academic quality assurance framework, processes and policies as well as teaching and learning strategy and supports critical to ensuring Mohawk continues to be a leader in delivering Future Ready programs and graduates.
Reporting to the Vice-President Academic, the Dean is accountable for the overall management of both the Continuing Education and Academic Development teams and is a member of the College’s Senior Leadership Team in addition to other senior academic teams.
As a visionary education professional, the Dean will guide the teams to foster academic excellence, establish a culture of innovation, and ensure a fundamental focus on students, staff and community. The Dean will create an environment where Mohawk values guide actions and decisions and will develop a community that embraces equity, diversity and inclusion while reducing challenges and barriers to education.
The Dean contributes to the academic well-being and growth of the College by providing academic and administrative leadership in directing human, physical and financial resources to support the development, delivery, implementation of new programs and ongoing review of existing programs at the college, in alignment with Mohawk’s Strategic Plan.
The incumbent is responsible for establishing community networks, strategic alliances and partnerships which will enhance opportunities for students, create value-added outcomes for community and industry partners and will contribute overall to a stronger and more vibrant Hamilton and surrounding area.
The ideal candidate for this role should possess relevant academic and professional qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in a related field and/or an honours degree combined with relevant teaching, coordination and management experience.
- A PhD is considered an asset.
- A minimum of 10 years post-secondary experience with at least 3 years in a senior-level leadership and management capacity, preferably in a post-secondary, multi-campus educational institution, within a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of championing a culture of quality, creativity and excellence in curricular design, delivery and review, and cultivating a culture of engagement in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
- Strong leadership in enabling and promoting pan-institutional collaborations, innovations and sharing of evidence-informed practices in academic quality and educational development and technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Quality Assurance framework and related ministry policies.
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to teaching excellence and quality education.
- Proven record of successful collaborations and partnerships within the community and across industry.
- Demonstrated understanding of student engagement for the purpose of achieving student success and retention.
- Demonstrated champion of fostering an inclusive and diverse environment for both students and staff.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
- Demonstrated understanding of the value and practice of applied research and innovative practices.
Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Department at (905) 575-2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.