Datapath – Software Engineer (New Grad)
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Ciena Corporation, the network specialist, offers leading network infrastructure solutions, intelligent software and a comprehensive services practice. Our portfolio of software-centric optical and Ethernet platforms combines network element programmability, operating system commonality and management unification, and Carrier Ethernet-based transformation to enable our customers to change the way they compete. Our solutions form the foundation of many of the largest, most reliable and sophisticated service provider, enterprise, government, and research and education networks across the globe.
Ciena continue to aggressively move towards Layer 0/1/2 converged infrastructures. Join the datapath team delivering these Optical Ethernet Network solutions:
• Next Generation optical transport solutions
• Hybrid Layer 0/1/2/3 switching (OTN/Ethernet/MPLS)
What will you do at Ciena as a Datapath - Software Engineer?
• Design and develop applications which extend the capabilities of the 6500 system/platform
• Development of embedded, real-time software for telecommunications systems
• Coding and testing of software
• Support of testing activities in the release where feature is delivered
• Working closely with Senior Designers who will provide mentoring and coaching
• Collaborating with other design and test support teams.
What technical experience and/or professional and personal skills are required for this
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science;
• C, C++ programming language experience
• Good knowledge of mutual exclusion, synchronization, interrupt handling, inter-process communication, etc.;
• Positive work attitude, highly motivated and an ability to seek out answers with a willingness to
learn and work independently.
• Strong verbal and technical writing skills;
• Collaborates well in a team environment
What technical experience and/or professional and personal skills would be an asset for this
• Familiarity with datacom & telecom concepts such as DWDM, SONET/SDH, OTN, Ethernet, TCP/IP, MPLS
• Low-level Real-Time Software/Firmware Development
• Ability to understand CPU Hardware architectures, Hardware Functional Specifications and Hardware Timing Diagrams
• Linux, VxWorks
• Linux as a software development environment
• Exposure to CLI, TL1, SNMP, NETCONF, REST, gRPC.
• Design and development tools such as: Git, Eclipse, JIRA, Confluence, GDB, Yocto
• YANG modeling language and toolchains
• Scripting experience, Python, Go, BASH
• Automation and Test
The following information will assist you in completing the online application:
• Be sure to attach a resume to the application (in the documents section), as well as a cover letter (if desired). Employment History can include co-op placements, internships or summer work terms while enrolled in a University/College program.
• Include your GPA (and what it is out of, e.g. 3.6/4.0, 80/100) in your resume. Be sure to also enter your school information in the Education Qualifications field of the application.
• Include any extracurricular and/or volunteer activities in your resume.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.