Data Network Engineer
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
We believe in the power of people. We are a network strategy and technology company that is motivated by making a difference in people’s lives – their productivity, their creativity, their health and comfort. That’s why our engineers design and implement technologies that allow people to do great things.
We’re looking for highly motivated and talented packet networking knowledgeable engineers who are passionate about engineering velocity and automation. You will build solutions that provide Ciena engineers robust data pathways that allow for cross-regional communication and the infrastructure to support these pathways. You will own and drive entire solutions which include service network scalability, reliability, and troubleshooting. In this role you will work directly with Product Engineering, Product Management, Sales Engineering, Customer account teams, and Product support in bringing our next generation packet solutions to market. You will be responsible to define and develop Product and Solutions Engineering and Performance guidelines, support Customer Proof of Concept and Certification trials, develop and test Product Interoperability scenarios, and support our field engineers as a subject matter expert on bids and field issues.
What will you do at Ciena?
- Deliver Product and Solutions Systems Engineering items as part of new product hardware and software releases. This typically includes development of items such as Product and Solutions Engineering Guidelines, Sales Engineering and Customer Introduction packages, Test Plans and Test Execution of Key Customer configurations, Definition of Performance metrics, development of Solutions blue-prints and other key items required by our Field Engineers.
- Technical prime to drive key Packet Networking customer engagements which include trials or certifications for Ciena product. Complete test execution either in Customer labs, in the field, or at local premise. Capture any customer requests for incremental capabilities that could potentially be rolled into upcoming releases.
- Develop and Test Packet networking solutions and applications in the lab to assess product performance, scalability and security. Applications may include Mobile backhaul, Ethernet business solutions, or Smart Grid applications.
- Support the Global account/sales engineering community with pre-sales and post-sales activities that include customer bid (RFP/RFI) technical support, market readiness (new product introduction) support, technical consultation, solution evaluation and architecture design, and other engineering network design consulting.
- Embrace the ‘feedback loop’ by engaging with various engineering teams to transform concepts, requirements and telemetry into services and tools
- Be passionate about learning and adopting new technologies that will ease your day-to-day job.
- Good IP routing knowledge both standards-based theory and configurationprovisioning (OSPF, BGP, ISIS, MPLS based IP VPN’s). 2-5 years of experience engineering packet transport solutions in the context of large carrier and enterprise networks is essential.
- Hands-on experience engineering, testing, troubleshooting or deploying networks on Carrier Ethernet or IP based platforms with (Ciena, Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Juniper, Adva )
- Hands-on experience and working knowledge of provisioning of packet networking related technologies (IP/MPLS, QinQ, 1588V2 , Synch E services, TDM etc. )
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge in a technology or solution area such as Optical Transport Network (OTN), SONET/SDH, PON/FTTH, VoIP, IPTV, mobile backhaul, 2G/3G/4G/LTE/5G, etc.
- Familiarity with security concepts and the handling of protected customer data
- Highly self-motivated team player with ability to collaborate and interact with cross-functional organizations both within Ciena, our customers and with our partners in the face of significant challenge or ambiguity
- Excellent presentation / communication skills.
- Ability to work with customers and account teams to understand requirements and priorities
- Successful practical problem solving, excellent written and interpersonal communication, and documentation skills
- Ability for frequent Domestic and International travel at short notice.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.