Cyber Security Program – Student Work Placement (Ottawa (Downtown), ON, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Cyber Security Program - Student Work Placement
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.
About the position
You will be part of a dynamic team working to respond to evolving business needs at the center of Canada’s economy. There is no better place to enhance the knowledge you are gaining through your studies. We also recently engaged leaders from across the Bank to gather their input for a new Cyber Security Strategy. A key part of this role will be to monitor the execution of the strategy and refine the strategy based on the real-world experience of Bank staff.
These positions are in our Information Technology Services (ITS) department - Cyber Security Program. Join us if you are eager to find creative solutions to complex problems and interested in working on critical foundational projects that address business and cyber resilience. As a student you will support the work of operational teams as they maintain resilient operations and position the Bank’s cyber security protection to meet broad and evolving needs.
- Student, Cyber Security Assessment
- Student, Business Analysis
- Student, IT Systems Development
- Student, Data Analysis
As a Student, Cyber Security Assessment your future responsibilities may include:
- Supporting the Technical Assessment, Vulnerability Management or Security Architecture teams on the execution of activities including the definition of business processes, develop, supporting and maintaining of security guidelines and benchmarks for cloud and container technology
- Assist with the development of performance metrics, risk management processes and the evaluation and/or development of new tools to support the Cyber Architecture processes
As a Student, Business Analysis your future responsibilities may include:
- Lead the gathering and documentation of business and functional requirements for implementing processes, security controls and technologies
- Support the development & implementation of an enterprise-leading cyber security awareness program. Participate to the creation and delivery of awareness/training activities in alignment with the threat landscape. Create meaningful storytelling scenarios through dashboards and info-graphics leveraging data collected from phishing and spear-phishing exercises.
- Develop detailed specification documentation from which solutions will be developed, designed, coded and tested, functional testing, acceptance testing and end-user training
As a Student, IT Systems Development your future responsibilities may include:
- Assist with coding and scripting of the Banks Identity and Access Management tools including executing procedures for request fulfillment, reporting and/or minor system configuration tuning
- Develop documentation, workflow diagrams and test scripts while monitoring application performance to ensure successful service levels
As a Student, Data Anaysis your future responsibilies may include:
- Translate analytical insights into clear recommendations and effectively communicate them to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Define dimensional models that support cyber processes, design and implement end-to-end data pipelines
- Build dashboards with data storytelling, including KPIs and KRIs, to support tactical and strategic data-informed decisions
Your education and experience
You must be enrolled in a university or college co-op program in a field related to Computer science, cybersecurity or equivalent.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to systematically analyze information, define problem and draw logical conclusions
- Strong communications, interpersonal and organizational Ability to work effectively independently or as part of a team
- Self-starter and innovative problem solver who enjoys working in a dynamic work environment
- Experience or understanding of Agile and DevOps delivery approach
What you need to know
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Be eligible to obtain Reliability or Secret
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and further to public health guidelines, preventative measures are being taken to ensure health and safety during the recruitment process. All interviews are conducted virtually.
Remote work / Hybrid Work Model #LI-Remote
The Bank is conducting a trial of a hybrid working model which provides employees with the flexibility to telework for significant portions of each month. During the trial, employees will be expected to come onsite on those days when they are involved in activities that they or their leader feel are better conducted in person and to build connections with colleagues. For the majority of employees, it is expected that onsite time will range from 5 to 10 days per month, depending on your role. You must live in Canada, and within reasonable commuting distance of the office. For this position, should you not live within reasonable commuting distance of the office, you will be able to work 100% remote (within Canada) for the duration of this term.
Please note that the application of the Bank’s Covid-19 Vaccination policy has been temporarily suspended, effective June 20, 2022. As a result, you will not be required to submit verification of your vaccination status before starting employment with the Bank. However, please note that the Bank reserves the right to reintroduce vaccination requirements in the future if necessary to respond to changing public health advice andor government direction.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team.
- Salaries are based on type of position and typically range from $23.34 to $27.23 (job grade Student C)