City : Canada
Category : FD-Philanthropy Marketing
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Title: Creative Copywriter
Employee Working Location: Remote/Virtual (Canada)
Employment status : Permanent part time ( 19 months )
Salary band: $54,481 - $79,451 / year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 - is seeking a Creative Copywriter to join our team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will join the Philanthropy department and help drive revenue growth and innovation in philanthropy marketing. As part of the creative services team, the incumbent will report directly to the Creative Lead and will also work at times with the Director of Donor Impact & Creative Services. This position will play a key role in executing on fundraising, marketing and advertising strategies by providing research, concepting and copywriting for a range of campaigns, including email, mail, social, search, integrated, report, proposal writing. The Creative Copywriter will collaborate with designers, marketers, and content specialists to translate client briefs into high-quality executions, drawing on their strong knowledge of audiences and web, email, mobile and print platforms. The incumbent will pay a high degree of attention to messaging, propositions, brand voice, and style consistency, delivering top quality work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
In this role, you will:
- Act as the lead copywriter for digital, direct and integrated marketing, advertising campaigns, philanthropy reports, annual reports, proposals & other donor facing documents.
- Work with creative services team members to develop, present and execute on campaign concepts for internal clients, and make recommendations for future projects.
- Contribute to quarterly planning, including the development of content, themes and testing for campaigns, working alongside marketers and subject matter experts towards optimizing key metrics.
- Support the Philanthropy marketing team as the lead copywriter for bespoke fundraising and marketing pieces such as appeals, in-house direct mail assets, paid search and social media marketing, display advertising, landing pages, microsites, infographics, reports, proposals and videos.
- Advise on planning and scheduling of creative projects.
- Supervise freelance writers and provide direction and support to junior copywriters across the team.
- Assist with the onboarding of agency partners and provide consulting and reviews of external work.
- Edit and proofread communications and marketing materials as required.
- Build and maintain relationships with colleagues in digital communications and the audiovisual unit, keeping abreast with content and campaign plans.
- Stay informed on CRC programs, operations and priorities.
Responsibility 2 :
- Lead the development of digital content and shape the content strategy for digital marketing programs.
- Contribute to the content development and strategy for major updates to redcross.ca, leveraging best practices in content design, user experience, information architecture and search engine optimization.
- Optimize content with SEO best practices in mind and help execute inbound marketing campaigns with a focus on increasing organic traffic to our site.
- Collaborate on strategies for off-page SEO and referral marketing efforts to increase both visitor traffic and revenue.
- Execute on content opportunities and assist in content publishing within Content Management Systems and outside tools such as video publishing.
- Support digital content requests from across philanthropy channels and other departments as needed.
- Assist in managing the translation cycle for web content.
- Provide on-call content support during times of emergency appeals: there will be additional work hours when an Appeal is called this requires this position to be part of the rotation to cover times outside of work hours including weekends as required. As such flex time may be necessary.
Responsibility 3 :
- Help develop and implement content processes and training for internal teams
- Assist in the development of writing style guides and content processes for internal teams as well as agencies.
- Develop and provide training and resources for team members and clients as needed.
- Keep abreast of emerging design trends and updates in design applications and provide updates to the team.
- Research and recommend new applications when required
What we are looking for:
- The minimum qualifications for this job are a post-secondary degree or diploma in communications, journalism, publishing or marketing, plus a minimum of 3 years of copywriting experience for both web and direct marketing channels.
- Superior writing and editing skills for digital marketing in web/email/mobile to different audiences
- Superior writing and editing skills for proposals, reports, case for supports to different audiences
- Identifying key content development opportunities
- Demonstrates the ability to think strategically and creatively about our business, the non-profit sector
- Research skills and being able to ask the right questions, gather information and interview internal and external stakeholders
- A curious, investigative eye with the ability to translate the complex into straightforward, engaging content
- Knowledge in User Experience research and testing is an asset
- Ability to actively contribute to brainstorming, campaign development, and creative execution
- Effective communication and constructive criticism skills
- Ability to work with tight timelines on multiple projects simultaneously and effectively juggle different writing demands
- Rich knowledge of digital, social media and traditional platforms
- Ability to build positive relationships with others and take direction when need be.
- An eye for detail; confidence in proofreading materials for accuracy and consistency
- Experience with a Content Management System (Kentico preferred) is required
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills in English is required. Bilingual (French) is an asset, but not required.
- Must be detail oriented, self-motivated, resourceful, and results driven
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.