City : Mali
Category : International Cooperation and Programs
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Title: Country Representative
Employee Working Location: Bamako, Mali
Employment status: Temporary full time – 12 months contract
Salary band: $73,735 - $79,336 / year
In additional to the salary band, we will offer benefits and additional allowances as part of the total compensation package. Additional allowances includes: Daily Subsistence Allowance, vacation, Insurance coverage, Rest and Relaxation and others.
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 - is seeking a Country Representative to join our International Cooperation and Programs team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply .
The incumbent will work in collaboration with the Head of Region (Africa) to oversee and ensure the efficient and effective management of Canadian Red cross projects in Bamako, Mali. The Country Representative will ensure quality and adherence to established guidelines, policies, and strategies of the relevant local authorities, as well as in accordance with the Canadian Red cross principles, guidelines and evidence-based best practices .
In this role you will:
- Ensure consistency in the CRC program implementation in Mali and work in close collaboration with the national society
- Ensure effective development and implementation of CRC program activities according to approved plans, budgets, regulations, and policies
- Identify opportunities for new areas of work according to CRC and Mali Red Cross priorities and identify new funding sources and negotiates funding opportunities.
- Provide strong leadership, expertise , and innovation in human resource planning in the management of the subordinates.
- Represent CRC and maintains strong relationships with the Mali Red Cross, other Red Cross National Societies, the IFRC , the ICRC , national authorities, international and national organizations, donor Governments, as well as national and international media.
- Prepare and monitor annual budget in coordination with program colleagues at National Office.
- Build collaborative and effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to, Mali Red Cross, Movement partners, and other relevant organizations.
- Be accountable for the safety and security of all CRC personnel (including visitors) in country which includes operational, movements, communications and decision-making informed by the evolving security situation.
What we are looking for:
- Post graduate level education in a related discipline (international development, management, social sciences, or public health) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 10 years experience working in conflict and post conflict programming preferred (preference given to complex environments)
- Fluency in French and English is required .
- A valid driver's license is required with a satisfactory driver's abstract.
- Experience in the management of Government of Canada funded projects, including knowledge of Results-Based Management (RBM) and Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP)
- Previous Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement experience is required along with a demonstrated commitment to the principles of the RCRC Movement.
- Demonstrated experience in senior level representation, relationship building and management, and strong diplomacy and negotiation skills.
- Proven experience in effective country-level planning and coordination with a range of different stakeholders.
- Experience in and knowledge of West Africa geographical area is a strong asset
This is an unaccompanied position in Bamako, Mali with occasional travel to region and some remote locations . This is a field-based position and w orking in Mali can be very demanding, both physically and psychologically
CRC supports a safe working environment and comfortable accommodations; however, delegates must be aware of and responsible for their own personal safety and that of employees under their supervision
- Difficult working conditions are expected, including:
- Very basic living conditions with intermittent electricity, internet, and other basic services.
- Long hours of work in a demanding context with limited resources
- The ability to work in a high risk , fluid and evolving situation may be required , as is the ability to work in stressful and often ambiguous conditions.
- Stressful rapidly changing environment with limited information to make decisions.
- In some contexts, legal frameworks and institutions to enforce the rule of law are largely undeveloped .
- In some remote areas access to healthcare could be limited or non-existent
- Issues of access and mobility due to the dynamic nature of an emergency situation and proximity to disaster-affected area
- Must be able to be Medical Cleared for travel in accordance with established CRC Medical criteria
- A satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC) is required for all positions.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.