Counsel – Pensions and Insurance
City : Waterloo
Category : Full-time
Industry : Finance
Employer : Sun Life Financial
You are as unique as your background, experience and point of view. Here, you’ll be encouraged, empowered and challenged to be your best self. You'll work with dynamic colleagues - experts in their fields - who are eager to share their knowledge with you. Your leaders will inspire and help you reach your potential and soar to new heights. Every day, you'll have new and exciting opportunities to make life brighter for our Clients - who are at the heart of everything we do. Discover how you can make a difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities around the world.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for a lawyer to join Sun Life’s Group and Client Experience Office (CXO) legal team. The successful candidate will join a dynamic and collaborative legal team primarily supporting our group retirement services, client experience office, and group insurance businesses. These businesses serve the needs of Canadians by providing retirement and savings plan asset administrative services, and life and health insurance benefits and administrative services.
This role is based in either our Waterloo or Toronto office and will report to the AVP & Managing Counsel. The successful candidate will have a strong business acumen and client focus. They will be resilient, adaptable, and highly motivated. This is a great and unique opportunity to work with a collaborative team with a large variety of work.
What will you do?
- Provide proactive, timely and effective legal support to management, client-facing, and administrative teams that serve our group plan sponsor clients and their plan members across Canada on a broad range of matters
- Provide timely and strategic legal advice on group retirement services, pension de-risking, benefit administration, plan design, new product development, and marketing materials
- Provide support and advice on digital and data influenced initiatives
- Negotiate and draft a variety of contractual arrangements
- Advise on new legislation and regulatory requirements in the financial services industry
What do you need to succeed?
The successful candidate will be:
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario with ideally at least 2-4 years of private practice and/or in-house experience
- Enthusiastic about leveraging data and technology to provide legal solutions to our business partners and inform business strategy
- Interested in learning complex and nuanced areas of pensions and insurance laws and providing advice in a simple and practical manner
- Proactive and a self-starter with an ability to take a risk-based approach to prioritize work
- Able to engage and influence others
- Able to collaborate, gain trust of business partners, and explain complex topics using simple language and clear language
- Experienced in pensions and/or benefits and applicable industry and regulatory trends will be considered an asset
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
At Sun Life we strive to create a flexible work environment where our employees are empowered to do their best work. Several flexible work options are available and can be discussed throughout the selection process depending on the role requirements and individual needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range:111,100/111 100 - 177,800/177 800
Posting End Date:04/12/2022