Coordinator- Emergency Management
City : CAN - NB - Saint John
Category : EMCI-Domestic Emergency Response
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Title: Emergency Management Coordinator
Employee Working Location: Remote / Virtual (Saint John, NB)
Employment status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary band: $41,053 to $51,316/year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022, is seeking an Emergency Management Coordinator (EMC) to join its Emergency Management team.
We are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
The incumbent will collaborate with the team active in New Brunswick. As a member of the largest disaster relief organization in the world, they will be responsible for all aspects of the Emergency Management Program, including recruitment, engagement, relationship building and response operations within their geography and for supporting the program throughout Atlantic Canada
In this role, you will:
Responsibility 1 - Volunteer Resource Management
- Manage volunteer recruitment initiatives to achieve set targets within assigned geographic areas of NB.
- Complete onboarding and orientation activities.
- Develop and lead volunteer teams through training, engagement opportunities and recognition.
- Provide coaching and performance management activities as applicable.
- Make sure that employees and volunteers at every level are responsible for safe work practices and adhere to practices outlined in their applicable provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Responsibility 2 - Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Implement Red Cross emergency management response plans within various communities in NB
- Coordinate emergency preparedness activities in an all-hazards approach with particular emphasis on risks relevant to the assigned geographical regions in the province.
- Play a leadership role during local, provincial and national emergency responses as required.
Responsibility 3 - Relationship Building
- Build partnerships with key stakeholders including local and municipal governments, NGOs, police and fire departments, the Department of Community Services, Emergency Management Office, as well as community leaders in a continuous effort to enhance response capacity.
- Support other Red Cross initiatives, as needed, to provide for a coordinated team effort to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable in our communities.
What we are looking for:
- University degree or community college diploma in one or more of the following disciplines; adult education, administration, planning and evaluation or a related field.
- Three to six years’ experience at a community-based program level.
- Strong communication in English and French is an asset.
- Ability to deploy within the province and/or Canada for a 2-to-3-week period, as required.
- Experience and training in media relations and public speaking.
- Previous experience working with volunteers is required.
- Demonstrated experience in development of plans and exercises.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects at one time.
- Preference may be given to a candidate with a background in program evaluation.
- Valid driver’s license with willingness to travel within province. Ability to provide a satisfactory driver’s abstract. Access to a vehicle is mandatory.
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification, or willingness to obtain one, is required.
- Outside of responses, work will be performed from home.
- Travel throughout the assigned geography will be required with occasional overnight travel.
- May be required to work non-traditional hours, be on call and respond to emergency and disaster-related requests.
- In times of response, may be called upon to fill roles within the emergency response structure, and may need to deploy away from home for periods of several weeks, local or virtual assignments and/or business continuity activities.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.