Contracts Manager (Purchasing)
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Procurement
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Ottawa, Ontario – Hybrid (3 days/week in office)
Mattamy Homes Canada
Purchasing, Ottawa Division
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
At Mattamy Homes, our Purchasing Team is focused on achieving the optimal balance of high-quality products & workmanship with timely service at a cost-effective price to enable Mattamy Homes to provide the Best Homeowner Experience. The Contracts Manager is accountable for procurement and delivery of products/services for multiple high-volume communities in a timely, cost-effective manner and in conformance with company policies, procedures, and budgets. The Contracts Manger will play a pivotal role in driving the partnership between the Purchasing Department and Mattamy’s homeowner facing operations of the Design Studio, Sales & Marketing, and Construction departments.
What you’ll do
- Control, develop and produce approved budgets and proformas with input from internal stakeholders.
- Tabulate and analyze tenders, and under the direction of Director of Purchasing, negotiate Contract Price and terms.
- Analyze cost comparisons and differences in products and services on long term/short term contract agreements, while ensuring contract terms are met
- Solicit bids and quotes from trade partners/suppliers
- Prepare quantity and material take-offs for the purpose of developing budgets and monitoring pricing trends.
- Study existing or new design drawings and keep abreast of changes impacting supply of materials
- Liaise with Architecture to ensure alignment of all plan-related details, drawing materials, sales and marketing material and constructability of plans prior to sales launch.
- Develop and qualify new trade partners/suppliers while maintaining and monitoring existing ones.
- Prepare tender packages to ensure accurate and complete tender submissions.
- Act as liaison between trade partners, quality control, construction, marketing, design studio, customer service, finance, and land departments.
- In collaboration with Sales & Marketing, and Design Studio develop the Schedule A for standard offerings.
- In collaboration with the Design Studio develop a strategic plan to improve retail profitability via new and existing products.
- Assess damaged and inferior products and negotiate returns for credit.
- Provides ownership for all items and option master within Mattamy’s ERP system (JD Edwards) and drive the alignment of system set-up across all communities.
- Participate in site visits to check performance of trades against scope of work/contract.
- Participates in analysis and development of new product drawings for value engineering opportunities and pricing thereof.
- Produce forecast reports to trade partners & suppliers on a regular basis.
- Lead, coach, and guide direct reports as well as other members of the Purchasing Team.
What you bring
- Post-secondary education and suitable work experience in the construction field.
- Five (5) or more years of progressive experience in the residential construction industry, estimating and purchasing.
- Solid understanding of generally accepted purchasing principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of house building and construction material purchasing.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to manage and motivate staff.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- Excellent mathematical skills with the ability to analyze, look for trends and superior estimating skills.
- Prior experience in preparing and analyzing budgets.
- Experience in computerized environment for production planning, ordering, analysis etc.
- Superior computer skills in MS Office – in particular Excel.
- Extremely well-organized, flexible, ability to prioritize workloads, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Understanding of the OBC, WSIB and Health & Safety regulations.
- Experience in condominium and mid-rise projects.
- Experience in Net-Zero Ready communities, or other similar programs.
- Knowledge of the Design Studio operations.
- Experience working in JD Edwards.
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.