City : St. John's
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Contract Biologist - ( 220003SP )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We have immediate openings for contract avian and terrestrial staff to join our Environmental Services Team in Atlantic Canada. We are looking for staff who are enthusiastic and ready to engage in providing our clients high-quality products.
As an avian biologist or terrestrial ecologist, you would be involved in a variety of field studies throughout Atlantic Canada. The position is part-time, temporary, beginning in early Spring 2022, with the potential for additional hours or extended/expanded contract pending availability of work.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company and client guidelines and policies for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Participate in various field work programs. Field programs may include the following inventories and assessments:
+ Conduct avian nest verification survey’s to determine species and nest activity status, along with associated data entry/management.
+ Wildlife and Significant Wildlife Habitat.
+ Flora identification and vegetation community characterization.
+ Species at Risk and/or Species of Conservation Concern.
+ Construction monitoring and effectiveness monitoring of mitigation efforts for species at risk and/or other sensitive natural features.
+ Collect data to support identification of wetlands and watercourses.
- Assist project managers with developing project budgets, determining project scope, and establishing project schedules.
- Travel as required to various field sites with overnight travel sometimes required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to meet a strong demand for high-quality, organized, and consistent results.
- Confident individual who demonstrates strong initiative and is capable of independent action with the ability to make informed decisions.
- Time management skills that include balancing immediate and long-term work commitments with varying priorities and deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license is required for business travel.
- Excellent communication skills; including verbal, technical writing, electronic communications, and presentations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of current federal, provincial and municipal regulatory requirements and is able to show experience with various regulators.
- Experience planning, coordinating and implementing ecological field programs.
Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree or technical diploma in biology, wildlife management and/or any other related environmental field is required as a minimum.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Other Locations : Canada-New Brunswick-Saint John, Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton, Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's, Canada-New Brunswick-Moncton
Organization : BC-1214 Environment Services-CA Atlantic Canada
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 75 % of the Time
Schedule : Part-time
Job Posting : Nov 4, 2022, 10:57:40 AM
Req ID: 220003SP
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans