Content Strategist (Revenue) – Hybrid
City : Toronto
Category : Permanent fulltime
Industry : Printing & Publishing
Employer : The Globe and Mail
The Globe and Mail is a national icon and one of Canada's most recognized media brands. We proudly serve as a trusted destination for Canadians seeking the highest caliber of journalism, and we've garnered international acclaim for our data visualization, design, and creative storytelling.
We are committed to fostering diversity and inclusivity by reflecting all Canadians in both the stories that we tell and the composition of our workforce. We are proud partners with organizations like Indigenous Works, Pride at Work, the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and we are a signatory of the BlackNorth Initiative. Recognizing the importance of work-life balance, we offer flexible work arrangements and support programs. We also invest in our employees' growth through training and mentorship opportunities, enabling you to expand your skills and embrace new challenges.
No matter your position at The Globe, you'll be an integral part of an organization dedicated to making a positive difference in Canada. Join us.
Throughout the year, The Globe and Mail publishes a range of features, series and reports. With a pre-planned schedule and flexible formats – from editorial stories to sponsor content and client-authored articles – these Special Reports reach both B2B and B2C audiences, across a variety of themes.
This position is primarily responsible for overseeing the Special Reports portfolio within Globe Content Studio. In this role, you will develop and execute content strategies based on audience needs and clients’ business objectives, using your journalistic and analytical skills to guide the creation, delivery and promotion of useful, inspiring and effective content. You will identify growth opportunities for the portfolio, making data-informed decisions to create new business opportunities that will resonate with existing and prospective clients.
- Pitching: Work closely with advertising sales teams on RFPs and content concepts, pitching creative ideas or identifying planned reports that suit client goals. Proactively ideating feature ideas based on performance data and market opportunities.
- Content production: Work with sales reps, project managers, editors, writers and designers to deliver stories that are aligned with client business goals.
- Create or oversee the development of content formats spanning text (print and digital), photo, video, graphics and audio, optimized for mobile consumption.
- Establish, track and assure adherence to budgets.
- Supporting the broader Studio efforts in content production, trade marketing as needed.
- Social media amplification: Collect assets, build ads, execute, monitor and optimize paid-social media campaigns across various platforms to amplify special report storytelling.
- Digital-first innovation: Implement digital strategies and programs that integrate within a broader marketing mix and deliver on the Globe’s promise to be innovative and deliver quality content with measurable results, including traffic and reach, engagement, conversion or sales.
- Business strategy: Leverage data and insights to improve content strategies and identify new business growth opportunities within the Special Reports portfolio.
- Stay ahead of emerging digital marketing, tech and content trends in an ever-changing landscape.
Practical skills and experience
- Strong skills in substantive editing: the ability to edit for structure, meaning, clarity, tone and libel. Comfortable in digital and print environments.
- Superior writing, copywriting and content creation skills.
- Understanding of SEO and SEM best practices and experience implementing information architecture to make content easier to discover.
- Understanding of the marketing funnel and customer journey and how content can strategically support and impact at every level.
- Project management skills to maintain editorial schedules and deadlines within seasonal and ongoing campaigns.
- Ability to quickly understand business needs and industry trends, and translate complex ideas into an editorial direction.
- Experience with social media and relevant research tools. (Experience with paid social ads an asset)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in digital media. Experience in print media is an asset.
- Bachelor degree or diploma in Journalism, Communications, Media Studies or related field.
- Solutions-oriented: A self-starter who takes ownership of multiple project-based tasks; a proactive, innovative and accountable problem solver.
- Agile: Suited for a fast-paced, results-based environment, requiring flexibility to adapt to evolving needs.
- Collaborative: A team player that brings an enthusiastic approach to client service, working seamlessly with people in different roles.
- Innovative: An ability to demonstrate creativity, a willingness to experiment, to thrive on change, and to view the occasional failure as a learning experience.
- Inclusive: Values diversity of thought and strives to represent different intersections of experience and identity at every step of the content production process, with DEIB principles informing that way you work.
WHY CHOOSE THE GLOBE:
The Globe’s mission is to deliver essential content – news, information, analysis and insights – for aspiring individuals and strong communities. The Globe is committed to providing a respectful and inclusive workplace that upholds our values of integrity, collaboration, innovation and accountability.
As Canada’s most respected media brand The Globe is dedicated to making a difference to Canada and you can make a difference by working with us.
- Competitive compensation to ensure we hire, retain and reward team members
- Hybrid work environment that promotes work-life balance
- Generous vacation and flexible work arrangements
- Parental leave top-up
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Annual wellness subsidy
- On-site chiropractor and registered massage therapist
- Employee and family assistance program
- Free digital subscription to globeandmail.com and 40% off other Globe products
- Education assistance for external training courses
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH:
- We are committed to creating equitable opportunities for all employees, to enable everyone to reach their full potential. This commitment is embedded in our strategic plan and core values.
- There are lateral and upward advancement opportunities for rewarding and developing careers.
- We believe in mentorship and collaborative peer-to-peer learning and have both formal and informal programs in place to encourage knowledge-sharing.
- We support continuing education and provide both internal and external opportunities for training and development.
All offers of employment with The Globe and Mail are conditional upon the candidate being Fully Vaccinated. To be Fully Vaccinated is defined as someone who has received the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (currently Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen) and has received the last dose at least 14 days prior to their start date. To prove they are Fully Vaccinated, all new hires will be required to provide evidence by emailing a copy of their vaccine dose administration receipt(s) to Human Resources prior to their start date. Those seeking exemption based on one or more of the protected grounds in the Human Rights Code will need to provide their request for accommodation to Human Resources for approval. If the accommodation request is not approved and the candidate is not Fully Vaccinated, any offer of employment will be revoked.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL IS DEDICATED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN THE WORKPLACE
The Globe and Mail is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We believe this strengthens our business and our journalism. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, age, and physical ability. As required by the Federal Contractors Program, The Globe also tracks the proportion of staff in the four Employment Equity categories (Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, and Members of Visible Minorities) to ensure we are reflecting the areas in which we work.
The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.