Conference Services Manager
City : Banff
Category : Conference Services
Industry : Charitable and Non-profit
Employer : Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Conference Services Manager
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
We acknowledge, with deep respect and gratitude, our home on the side of Sacred Buffalo Guardian Mountain. In the spirit of respect and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Banff area, known as “Minhrpa” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “the waterfalls”) and the Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw, Chiniki, and Goodstoney Nation – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Shuswap Nations, Ktunaxa Nations, and Metis Nation of Alberta, Region 3. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play, help us steward this land, and honour and celebrate this place.
Banff Centre is the perfect location for meetings, conferences and events. Offering full-service meeting and conference facilities, we specialize in providing meeting facilities, programming, and services for many different sectors including corporate, association, government, and post-secondary. Conferences at Banff Centre provide delegates from Alberta, Canada, and around the world with exceptional meeting facilities in an environment that fosters inspirational learning. As a revenue-generating arm of Banff Centre, net revenue from the Centre’s conference operations supports arts programming.
Conferences at Banff Centre is looking for an enthusiastic Conference Services Manager (CSM) to join their high-functioning team as they oversee and organize all aspects of conference and meeting event preparation. As the liaison between the conference group and the various departments at Banff Centre, our CSMs are highly-organized, self-motivated, details-people with superior time-management skills who strive to ensure each group's Banff Centre conference experience is exceptional.
Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior Conference Services Manager, below are some key responsibilities:
- Communicate with conference leaders prior to the group's arrival to confirm all details relating to their conference at Banff Centre.
- Act as the liaison between the conference group and relevant Banff Centre sales and service departments to communicate and ensure a complete understanding of the client's needs and expectations.
- Hold pre-conference meetings with all relevant Banff Centre departments to ensure special requests are known and adhered to.
- Determine and take appropriate action to rectify any situation that comes in conflict with complete customer satisfaction.
- Ensure that all Group Resume Forms and Banquet Event Orders are timely and accurate.
- Be present on campus during client's arrival and departure days and ensure department coverage for clients on-site during the CSM's days off.
- Establish ongoing professional relationships with repeat clients.
- Ensure all sales contracts are adhered to and all contractual agreements are carried out.
- Maximize meeting space and bedroom efficiency while controlling costs and providing optimal guest service.
- Ensure that each group's billing is accurate and completed in a timely manner; following-up with clients on over-due accounts as required.
Sales and Marketing
- Actively seek avenues of new business through relationship building with current clients.
- Ensure that new sales leads are directed to and acted upon by a sales manager.
- Organize and carry out conference site visits with conference leaders when requested.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Minimum three years' experience working in conference or event planning
- Completion of post-secondary education in hospitality management or a related field or equivalent experience
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation preferred, but not required
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience working with Visual One property management software and Adobe Creative Suite is an asset
- Capable of making solid, thoughtful decisions in a timely manner, sometimes without prior consultation with the department manager
- Highly-developed time-management skills with high personal standards for accuracy
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects while experiencing frequent interruptions
- Due to the nature of the job, the Conference Services Manager is occasionally required to work weekends and/or evenings.
Employment Terms and Benefits
- In accordance with the terms of employment governing Management/PSP employees, this is a salaried, fulltime position, subject to a 6 month probationary period.
- The successful candidate will enjoy twenty paid vacation days and four personal days annually, extended medical and dental benefits, and participation in an employer-matched pension plan.
- Benefits of working at Banff Centre are:
- Staff housing options (based on availability)
- Hybrid Work Environment
- Professional Development
- Staff cafeteria and restaurant discounts
- Onsite fitness facility at a discounted rate – first month free for new staff!
- We are accepting applications for the Conference Services Manager position until a suitable candidate is found.
- Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
- Visa Requirements: Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Banff Centre is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.