Computer Programmer/Analyst (Integration Specialist)
City : Vancouver
Category : Technology
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 38694
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Integration Specialist ensures the City’s Enterprise Integration platforms are operationally sound, delivered according to project design and requirements, and perform in accordance with the organization’s technical standards. The position is responsible for developing enterprise integration solutions using various integration platforms (traditional ESB, data integration, message and event brokering middleware, iPaaS, and API mediation) to connect cloud, on-premise, user-centric, and IoT systems in both real-time and scheduled batch scenarios using multiple communication protocols and message formats, orchestration logic, and complex data transformations.
- Requires considerable independent judgement to recommend, design, implement and support enterprise application & data integration projects
- Delivers application & data integration solutions by:
- integrating data shared across legacy, new development, and purchased package environments
- developing system modification specifications
- mapping data & establishing interfaces
- developing and modifying functions, programs, routines, and stored procedures to export, transform, and load data
- resolving and escalating integration issues
- coordinating actions among users, operations staff, and outside vendors
- documenting operational procedures, technical design, sequence diagrams, and integration connections
- Designs, develops, tests, and implements, application & data integration systems and REST API solutions including software code writing
- Integrates applications & data from disparate data sources
- Assesses middleware tools for application and data integration, data transformation and translation, and message routing
- Validates data integration by developing and executing test plans and scenarios including integration data design & data extract/transform
- Improves integration by designing and evaluating new data interchange formats; improving physical design; writing data integration policy, standards, and procedures
- Establishes best practises and standards by deriving from work experience, and researching and introducing industry trends on new and emerging integration technologies, and API solutions.
- Reviews and analyzes systems post implementation, to ensure the implementation did not introduce defects and/or performance issues
- Resolves escalated issues and works in a professional manner when dealing with sensitive or controversial matters
- Provides technical advice, guidance, assistance, and training to users and staff
- Prepares and maintains user and operations documentation, and provides technical training for other members of Integration Services team
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Degree or diploma in computer sciences, data management, analytics or a related area
- Sound Backend Development experience with .NET and/or Java platforms and technologies or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Experience with industry standard integration tools & middleware technologies such as Microsoft BizTalk, Azure Integration Services, FME, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Informatica, Mulesoft, SAP Integration Platform, etc.
- 2+ years of professional experience in developing enterprise integration solutions using middleware and data integration tools involving: both batch (ETL/ELT) and real-time data; message and service orchestrations; multiple message formats, transport protocols, platforms, data sources and applications; and complex transformations
- Experience in managing, designing (OpenAPI, RAML) and developing REST APIs, and in working with SOAP Web Services in Service Oriented Architectures
- Desirable experience in developing integration solutions with Enterprise iPaaS platforms such as Azure Integration Services (Logic Apps, Service Bus, Event Grid, API Management, Azure Functions)
- Experience with database platforms, Oracle & SQL Server and good understanding of relational and dimensional database structures, theories, principles, and practices. Experience should include relational database programming and development with MS SQL Server T-SQL or Oracle PL/SQL, data modelling, and database design
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with Enterprise BI Tools such as Qlik and Microsoft PowerBI
- Working knowledge of Agile Software Development, SDLC processes, DevOps (CI/CD), and version control with Git
- Ability to work effectively in a changing environment and perform under pressure, organize multiple priorities and meet deadlines, articulate risks and make clear recommendations, and identify ways to improve service delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally with technical and non-technical staff
- Ability to handle business critical and sensitive information
- Constantly drive innovation by staying current with technology, trends, and new ideas for data integration solutions and process improvements
- Strong detail-oriented, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new knowledge
- Ability to focus on details and quality while delivering on commitments
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2023
Position End Date: July 1, 2025
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $43.82 to $51.78 per hour
Application Close: June 4, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.