Community Health Navigator – Senior Support Services – Full Time
City : Hamilton, ON
Category : FT - Full Time,Assisted Living/Personal Support Services
Industry : Social Assistance
Employer : Good Shepherd
HOURS - Community Health Navigators primarily work a flexible daytime, Monday - Friday schedule. Occasional evening or weekend work may be required to respond to specific client needs.
The work of Good Shepherd is based on a fundamental belief in providing hope and restoring dignity to the most vulnerable members of our community. Our services include emergency food transitional housing and education for homeless and street-involved youth; hospice palliative care; community mental health programs; and supportive housing programs. We are committed to integrating Harm Reduction practices into our programs and to prioritizing the rights, dignity, and choices of those who use substances. By integrating a Harm Reduction framework at Good Shepherd, we can decrease barriers to service and better support some of our community's most marginalized members.
This opportunity is with our Good Shepherd - Senior Support Services
How You Will Make an Impact
Good Shepherd is partnered with the Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) Hospital to Home Program to provide holistic healthcare and social services to individuals living in the community who are vulnerable due to complex health issues and who experience marginalization as a result of systemic barriers related to poverty, precarious housing, mental health challenges, addiction, food insecurity, social isolation etc.
Good Shepherd Community Health Navigators collaborate with an inter-professional team of HHS health professionals to support individuals living with complex health and social challenges to achieve and maintain an optimal level of health, well-being and community function while utilizing health care resources efficiently.
- Provide specific, individualized support services to clients in the home/community setting
- Partner with clients in identifying and addressing individual and systemic barriers that adversely impact their quality of life
- A commitment to client-centered practice and a recovery orientation that addresses social determinants of health
- Good time management skills and the ability to work independently in client homes and community settings
- Engage and support clients in problem-solving, safety planning, harm reduction and accessing essential resources
- Offer supportive counselling, referrals and advocacy
- Navigators partner with HHS' health care professionals in a hands-on capacity to assist clients in setting priorities and achieving individual goals toward enhanced well-being and quality of life
What You'll Bring to Our Team
- Diploma or degree in social service/social work or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Registered as a Registered Social Service Worker or Social Worker
- Minimum 3 years' experience in human or health services
- Excellent problem-solving, risk management and crisis intervention skills
- Significant knowledge of the human services landscape in Hamilton and demonstrated experience in working with a variety of agencies and stakeholders
- Extensive knowledge of local community service agencies and systems essential
- Experience in outreach/community-based work preferred
- Current Ontario driver's license and willingness to use personal vehicle (with appropriate insurance) required
- Fluency in a language in addition to English an asset
- Have a strong understanding of harm reduction principles
- Committed to anti-racist/anti-oppressive practice and to the mission and values of Good Shepherd Centres
- Fluency in a language in addition to English is an asset
What We Offer
- Be a part of a caring TEAM THAT SUPPORTS OUR LOCAL COMMUNITY
- Support for continuing EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Staff recognition programs along with access to self-care supports and EMPLOYEE / FAMILY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM(EAP)
- POSITIVE and ENCOURAGING atmosphere
- Make a difference and provide HOPE
- Extended Health Benefits
Good Shepherd, a ministry of the Hospitaller Order of St. John of God, is an equal opportunity employer operating within an anti-racist and anti-oppression framework. We strive to establish workplaces that reflect and are enhanced by the rich diversity of the community we serve.
Good Shepherd welcomes and encourages applications from all people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you need accommodations, please contact Human Resources at 905-528-5877.
Good Shepherd has a mandatory verification of COVID-19 vaccination policy. More information on the full policy requirements and accommodation allowances will be provided to those selected for an interview.