Commercial Manager, Rail & Transit
City : Calgary, AB
Category : T&I - Transportation Systems
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is currently seeking a bilingual Commercial Manager, Rail & Transit to join our Transportation Systems team, located at our Thornhill or Toronto office. Reporting to the Senior Director, Commercial & Risk this position will be responsible for. managing the commercial activities associated with a project or a portfolio of projects. The Commercial Manager is responsible for providing leadership, expertise and oversight to ensure project commercial objectives are met at policy levels.
As a member of the Transportation Systems team, you will be given opportunities to use your transferrable skills to define processes, create execution plans, mentor the junior team members, and be the technical lead for multiple projects. You will be supported by management to develop work plans and professional skills to become a strong leader in the consulting environment.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Review the current organization and making recommendations for any changes/increases in staffing of the Contract Development team;
- Develop the single large construction contract (the "Contract");
- Define and lead the RFEOI, RFQ and Bid processes including document development for each stage, market soundings, in-market period support, evaluation of submissions, and award recommendations;
- Chair the Contract Development Working Group that is developing the Contract;
- Review and validate the Project Baseline (scope, budget and schedule) to confirm it defines reasonable and achievable targets;
- Oversee the schedule, deliverables and execution of the procurement process, including the pre-in-market and in-market periods;
- Facilitate the development of solutions throughout the procurement process through positive working relationships with Legal, Finance, Risk and technical teams;
- Write specific articles and sections and/or schedules as needed;
- Compile and develop systems for electronic data management that is consistent and efficient;
- Develop an appropriate project risk reserve in accordance with WSP guidance and procedures;
- During the in-market period, coordinate responses to technical RFI's with the appropriate SSE authors;
- Coordinate EOI, SOQ and Bid evaluations, providing expert advice and guidance on risk, real estate and financial matters;
- Be the primary point of contact through the lifetime of a contract;
- Deal with schedule issues promptly, to minimize delay claims;
- Oversee analysis and response to claims, to minimize cost and schedule impacts;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Preferred MBA, P.Eng. or other relevant designation;
- Must be bilingual in French and possess both strong speaking and written French communication skills;
- 6 – 9 years of experience in a similar role on at least one transit infrastructure project valued over $1 billion and delivered by design-bid-build;
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams responsible for the design of fixed facilities and systems for underground transit infrastructure projects with specific experience mediating issues and facilitating discussions with key stakeholders to achieve consensus;
- Experience on large infrastructure projects at a senior level working with senior government officials and stakeholders;
- Experience working with legal, risk, technical, financial and commercial advisors;
- Experience writing/coordinating/assembling RFEOI, RFQ and Bid documents for large capital projects;
- Experience writing both technical and non-technical contract specifications;
- Experience and understanding of project financing and structuring of large infrastructure development contracts;
- Experience in risk identification, allocation, and quantification for large, complex capital projects;
- Sound knowledge of transit systems operations, asset management practices and contract administration;
- Experience in contract administration and claims management an asset;
- Experience in both Owner and Contractor roles an asset;
- Proven advanced conflict and issues resolution skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.