Commercial & Contracts Manager
City : BURNABY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Commercial & Contracts Manager - ( 240000B5 )
We are strategizing, planning, and implementing projects that help clients achieve their organization’s objectives. Join our award-winning program management team and bring transformational project solutions to life.
By managing capital programs and projects as if they were our own, our project management business, and technical experts work with clients to strategize, plan, and implement projects that help them achieve their organization’s objectives. Our award-winning team has managed thousands of projects across all sectors — hospitals, airports, and entire university campuses; infrastructure like mass transit and water-treatment facilities; and energy and resource assignments, from mines to wind farms.
Stantec is seeking a Commercial & Contracts Manager with broad commercial and contract management experience on large infrastructure programs.
This is a key project position requiring excellent communication skills and working in an integrated Stantec-Client multi-discipline team The role encompasses three key areas of responsibility: Procurement Preparation and Support; Contract Management and Administration; and Claims Mitigation and Management.
The successful candidate is expected to provide expertise for supporting the project team in planning, preparation, management, and oversight of contracts as part of a multi-billion-dollar program. This will include working collaboratively with the Client’s Purchasing and Legal departments, as well as other internal and external stakeholders on the following tasks and functions:
- Strategic advisory services on contracting and procurement strategies for different elements of the program, with consideration of alternate delivery models for select projects.
- Procurement preparation and support. This will involve writing, evaluating, and recommending RFQ/RFPs and tenders for procurement of design, equipment, construction, and other services.
- Supporting detailed implementation and oversight of construction contracts; including the procurement of the anticipated Construction Partner through an Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) process.
- Ongoing contract administration support services including change management progress reporting for construction, design, and other services.
- Assisting in commercial oversight with proactive claims mitigation and resolution management.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Program Support Lead, manage a team of procurement and contract administration professionals and the day-to-day activities associated with procurement of complex, high value contracts involving engineering/environmental consultants, design and supply of equipment, and construction services consistent with our client’s procurement policies and departmental procedures and guidelines.
- Leading procurement planning and development of procurement plans/strategies as required to support project needs.
- Working closely with Client project managers and project leads to assist with procurement and contracting functions and ensure procurement activities meet project schedules.
- Responsible for delivering high quality documents covering all aspects of procurement for medium to large scale projects.
- Coordinating with Client procurement and legal departments, project management, project controls, construction management team personnel and vendors.
- Developing commercial conditions/documentation for Requests for Expression of Interest (RFEOI), Requests for Qualifications (RFQ), Requests for Proposals (RFP), Invitation to Tender (ITT) and other procurement documentation and contracts including special commercial conditions.
- Identify and recommend contract and sourcing template improvements to the Client that reflect the needs and risks of the project.
- Assist in developing evaluation criteria and weighting for use in evaluating and comparing consultant and technical proposals.
- Working with Client procurement department in obtaining competitive bids/proposals.
- Completing commercial evaluations and recommendations for award reports.
- Assisting in negotiating contract terms and conditions with vendors.
- Working with Client procurement department in coordinating contract award and preparing award letters and contract documents.
- Overseeing administration of contracts including submittals, RFIs, bonds, insurance, etc.
- Interpreting contract and ensuring compliance with contract terms and the requirements of the scope of the work.
- Evaluating/negotiating commercial aspects of work plan submissions.
- Supporting negotiating contract price breakdowns and assessing back charges and liquidated damages.
- Assisting in developing vendor performance matrix and conducting evaluations as required.
- Contributing to the establishment and implementation of improvements to existing methods, policies, and procedures.
- Over the long-term, the role will also include identifying & building Stantec’s portfolio of new work. This includes targeting and leading pursuits through business development, client interaction and proposal preparation.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience in effective commercial contract management and claims mitigation.
- Strong leadership skills, proven negotiation and influencing skills as well as strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task effectively.
- Advanced knowledge of public procurement and contract development concepts and practices.
- Strong ability to plan, organize work and maintain policies and procedures.
- Ability to coordinate efforts of others to accomplish objectives.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize the various activities to maximize efficiency and meet deadlines.
- High ethical and professional standards in all dealings with vendors.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, SharePoint
Education and Experience
- University degree or College Diploma in a relevant discipline or a combination of education, training and experience deemed to be equivalent.
- Demonstrated fifteen to twenty (15-20) years of procurement experience in various contract delivery methods on large projects in a public infrastructure environment. (i.e., DBB, DB, Cost-Plus, Unit Rate, Construction Management, Construction Management at Risk, and Public-Private Partnership (P3s).
- A professional designation in supply chain, business, technical or a related field including management courses in business, finance, organizational design, change management is desirable.
- Experience leading and/or managing procurement processes for procuring goods and consulting and construction services, utilizing leading practices and methodologies.
- Experience in preparation of procurement documentation and contract development, in cooperation with legal counsel.
- Experience in the water and wastewater sector is considered an asset.
- Experience with claims negotiation and dispute resolution (including mediation, arbitration, litigation) is preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $139,100 - $208,600 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Organization : BC-1262 Transpt-CA PMCM
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Manager
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 24, 2024, 1:42:08 PM
Req ID: 240000B5
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans