Co-op Student, Geotechnical – Summer 2023
City : Dartmouth, NS
Category : Environment - Geotechnical & Materials
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. We have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
WSP is currently seeking a co-cp student to work on projects with our Geotechnical & Materials Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client's objectives and solves their challenges.
This opportunity provides support to technical staff, engineers, and project managers for remediation, permitting, improvement, and construction of infrastructure projects and systems in the public and private sector. Tasks may include basic assistance with the research, design, analysis, concept development, and construction of roads, buildings, tunnels, dams, canals, levees, bridges, water supply systems, underground storage, and sewage treatment.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Providing geotechnical engineering support for subsurface investigations and geotechnical analysis and design;
- Developing, directing, and implementing geotechnical field programs;
- Assisting with or carrying out various data analyses;
- Assisting with various field activities, including drilling, test pitting, and inspections and testing services on construction projects,;
- Being responsible for product quality control with adherence to company standards;
- Developing your technical skills and sharing these skills with other members of your team;
- Participating in a team environment within and outside of the geotechnical discipline;
- Learning about the consulting business and contributing to business development;
- Demonstrating a “Safety-First” focus and acting as a role model for other staff;
- Maintaining a high standard of behavior to uphold WSP’s reputation and demonstrating a commitment to our Core Values.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Pursuing a Degree in Geotechnical, Geological, or Civil (Geotechnical) Engineering;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Your willingness to be mobile in the province of Nova Scotia, and your openness to be doing a variety of work that may include field and office-based work;
- Your expertise with commonly used geotechnical software;
- Your comfort and experience assisting and writing geotechnical reports;
- Your excellent strong verbal and communication skills in English are essential;
- Your ability to think and act independently, while accepting coaching, guidance and productive feedback;
- You are enthusiastic, resourceful, adaptable, well organized and you have an eye for details;
- You are a true professional, and believe in the power of engaged and high-performing teams and know what works well to get the most out of your peers;