Civil Technician / Technologist / Surveyor
City : Regina
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Civil Technician / Technologist / Surveyor - ( 2200003X )
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving—whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
The role of a Civil Technologist is to work as a team member on roadways, bridge and culvert/hydraulic projects under the guidance of an Engineer. The Civil Technologist will utilize their knowledge and experience to contribute to a variety of projects ranging from conceptual design through to construction services.
A Civil Technologist will perform a variety of tasks – primarily related to GPS topographic survey, but can also include assisting with the plans, designs and construction administration/support of structures and facilities such as bridges, railroads, roads, airports, other projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Primarily responsible for completing GPS topographic survey, including layout, cross-sectional survey, and calculating quantities (excavation, backfill, stockpiles, water volumes and surface areas), construction layouts (slope-staking, second grading, running stationing, etc), drainage surveys, and road surveys.
- Provide quantity control of materials used on projects by fulfilling the duties of a roadside checker and scale person.
- Providing contractor and construction supervision.
- Completing in-place density testing via the use of a nuclear densometer.
- Support various design and drafting tasks for structural and transportation projects.
- Support in preparation of contract drawings and support with the development of tender specifications.
- Support in the preparation of reports, studies, evaluations and cost estimates.
- Complete periodic field reviews and site visits when required.
- Review shop drawings and other support documents for construction.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Preference given to those with a Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or similar program, accredited or eligible for accreditation with SASTT.
- Preference given to those with experience in topographic survey, and/or transportation engineering fields.
- Field construction experience related to bridges, roads, land development or other heavy civil engineering projects.
- Experience with Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways manuals and specifications would be considered an asset.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and Excel spreadsheets. Proficiency with other relevant design software programs will be an asset.
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Takes initiative on tasks and in coordinating with other members of the design team.
- Preference given to those familiar with Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways Standards.
- Must have a valid Driver’s license.
Education and Experience
Minimum 3-5 years of experience preferred, but willing to train the right person.
Position will be a combination of office and field work, but primarily field based during the construction season. Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina
Job : Civil Engineering Technician/Technologist
Organization : BC-1110 Transportation-CA Saskatchewan
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 75 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 13, 2022, 10:32:17 PM
Req ID: 2200003X
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans