Civil/Environmental Engineering Assistant – Water – (Summer 2023)
City : TORONTO
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Civil/Environmental Engineering Assistant - Water - (Summer 2023) - ( 230000LS )
At Stantec, we approach every water and natural resource project we undertake—whether at the local, regional, or watershed level— thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities’ unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We’re a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that’s critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
As a Civil/Environmental Engineering Assistant, you will work in a team environment and have exposure to water infrastructure projects which may include conveyance infrastructure, water and wastewater plants, pump stations, water supply, distribution, wet weather flow management, etc. Candidates should be highly motivated and dependable students who are taking or have taken water resources, hydrology, or water-treatment-type courses. It is the intention of this position to give students an opportunity to become familiar with the field of Consulting Engineering, by working on challenging and interesting projects with members of Stantec's Water Group.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Assisting technical staff with various project tasks, including researching, compiling and evaluating project data, preparing reports and performing calculations for water and wastewater treatment projects and/or sewer or tunnel design projects
- Assisting in project administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, tracking project costs, and completing progress reports
- Performing calculations and managing large data sets, along with some exposure to GIS, design and cross-training
- Participating in preliminary and detailed design of linear infrastructure, and treatment and pumping facilities
- Preparing and compiling cost estimates
- Performing research and contacting vendors for information
- Assisting with field data collection and analysis of environmental data
- Complete other engineering/administrative duties as required
Your Capabilities and Credentials
The candidate should:
- Be familiar with and show interest in spreadsheets and other data management software
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Possess strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Have the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and take direction
- Have an eagerness to learn
- Possess the ability to collaborate with teammates to deliver projects effectively and efficiently
Education and Experience
- In progress toward earning a Bachelor's degree (minimum) in civil, water resources and environmental engineering or related field.
- Specific coursework or exposure to one or more of the following: Planning, design, construction of water/wastewater infrastructure, construction management, environmental water/wastewater treatment processes, advanced and emerging technologies.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Organization : BC-1656 Water-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 8, 2023, 10:31:46 AM
Req ID: 230000LS
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans