Civil Engineering Team Lead, Northern Canada
City : YELLOWKNIFE
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Civil Engineering Team Lead, Northern Canada - ( 230000SW )
Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of community development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
Stantec has a vibrant and dynamic environment with unparalleled opportunities for professional growth. Our multidisciplinary Northern team is looking for an energetic Civil Engineering Team Lead to manage our growing Northern practice. Through example and assistance, provide leadership, resource coordination, fiscal management and technical guidance for Stantec’s civil engineering group that is based in Canada’s three northern territories – Nunavut, NWT and Yukon.
In the Territories, northern traditions mix with the everyday lifestyles of modern Canadians from all cultures and backgrounds. The result is a unique sense of place that both welcomes newcomers and embraces new ideas. Whether you’re interested in an adventure filled with fishing, hunting, skiing, biking, hiking or snowmobiling, or just looking to experience life in a beautiful, small urban centre, Yellowknife could be the place for you. Up here, work-life balance truly exists. Build your career AND enjoy your life!
Your Key Responsibilities
- As a Civil Engineer, you will be responsible for the delivery of municipal and territorial water, sewer, transportation infrastructure, and land development/site servicing projects for clients across the three territories.
- Directing and providing hands-on management of planning and feasibility studies, pre-design and detailed design assignments for public and private sector clients.
- Managing northern team staff and multi-disciplined project teams; leading them with municipal road works, municipal infrastructure including sewage lagoons, solid waste facilities, water, wastewater and storm water conveyance and pump stations.
- Financial management of projects including budget forecasting, resource management, change-order management, and client invoicing.
- Developing proposals, budgets and schedules, and on-going business development and liaison with clients.
- Collaborating with other Team Leaders and Project Managers to identify staffing, equipment, and training requirements.
- Acquire, release and manage staff (civil) appropriate for the technical services being offered and for the economics of the business environment.
- Manage the time allocations of the civil staff to project work, setting priorities as appropriate.
- Ensure that civil engineering work is in compliance with Stantec’s Health & Safety policies, Project Management Framework and compliance requirements for ISO 9001 Certification.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Professional civil engineer licensed to practice engineering in all three territories and must have a minimum of 8 years experience practicing civil engineering for transportation, water and municipal projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of civil engineering, contracting practices, project management and consulting services business.
- Have a sound understanding of the project economics associated with consulting engineering work and operate a group that is responsive and profitable.
- Ability to develop solid business relationships
- Working knowledge of relevant municipal infrastructure (water, sewer, storm systems) and roadways.
- Experience in the north and with permafrost.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven project management experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- P.Eng. or eligible for registration as P.Eng. with the Association of Professional Engineers Yukon and the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists.
- Preferred a minimum of 8 years of related work experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and sitting at a desk. Limited field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Northwest Territories-Yellowknife
Organization : BC-1449 Buildings-CA North
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Manager
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 16, 2023, 9:57:51 AM
Req ID: 230000SW
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans