Civil Engineering Designer
City : WATERLOO
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Civil Engineering Designer - ( 240000AH )
Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
The role of a Civil Engineering Designer is to work on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the close guidance and supervision of a senior engineer/designer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations and field work. The smaller projects that a Civil Engineering Designer may be assigned to will have relatively few complex features.
As a Civil Engineering Designer, you will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments (such as grading, servicing, stormwater management, etc.), and may also assist in the analysis of proposed projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Performs civil design using knowledge of relevant software programs.
- Works with other engineering disciplines and professionals in the completion of the project under the direction of a senior engineer/ designer or project coordinator.
- Performs field work as directed by a senior engineer/supervisor.
- Performs basic calculations to analyze and design civil system components using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Assists with engineering duties on projects of various complexity.
- Assists with collecting data and gathering information to support design decisions.
- Assists in basic interpretation and verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards and practices.
- Performs a variety of tasks which may include analyzing proposed project solutions to ensure design integrity, reliability, resource efficiently and cost effectiveness.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the senior engineering staff.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Basic understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of civil engineering design.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Understanding of civil engineering concepts (e.g. grading and servicing design) and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, building program and other similar material.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Developing cooperative skills in working efficiently within a team.
Education and Experience
- Technical degree/diploma/certificate in Civil Engineering or related field. Minimum of 1-2 years of experience preferred. Not suitable for other disciplines of engineering (ie. Mechanical, chemical, computer, etc.)
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Organization : BC-1614 CommDev-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 22, 2024, 11:40:33 AM
Req ID: 240000AH
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans