Civil Engineering Co-op Student – Energy (Summer 2023)
City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Civil Engineering Co-op Student - Energy (Summer 2023) - ( 230000EY )
Communities are fundamental. Whether around the corner or across the globe, they provide a foundation, a sense of place and of belonging. That's why at Stantec, we always design with community in mind.
We care about the communities we serve—because they're our communities too. This allows us to assess what's needed and connect our expertise, to appreciate nuances and envision what's never been considered, to bring together diverse perspectives so we can collaborate toward a shared success.
Our Ottawa & Edmonton offices have an opportunity for a Telecommunication Design Specialist within our Power and Telecommunications Group.
The role of a Civil Engineering co-op student is to work as a team member on small and large projects under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. The co-op student will work under close supervision of a Senior Engineer to develop skills and experience.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Estimating, designing and issuing construction work packages for copper, coax or fiber based residential and business services, copper, coax or fiber plant infrastructure upgrades and mainway and incidental conduit systems;
- Design fiber optic and coaxial communications networks to client specifications;
- Create RF system design for CATV networks for various types of projects consisting of new build (SFU/MDU), forced relocates, rebuild and system extensions;
- Draft, design, redesign CATV network, and post as built utilizing client specific software (GIS/FMS);
- Produce plans for municipal consent, utility permits, and construction purposes;
- Update RF and/or Fiber Design databases and maintain system maps including base map, cable, fiber routes, addresses & RF design including commercial, SFU, MDU, node profiles & powering data;
- Calculate powering, conduct level analysis and select appropriate locations for power supplies & nodes;
- Import AutoCAD, TIFF, DXF or other file formats, or hard copy maps to create electronic base maps for road base, MDU floor plans, and cable routing;
- Prepare fiber optic splicing diagrams;
- Prepare Pole Line Analysis (PLA) documents and arrange for applicable permitting;
- Prepare Utility Line Assignment (ULA) drawings and arrange for applicable permitting;
- Prepare list of materials; - Communicate with permits / project coordinators to facilitate the transfer of accurate information with regard to construction design and drafting;
- Determine methodology to design plant changes with minimal impact to the network and customers;
- Complete projects within prescribed time limits while delivering a high quality solution package.
- Must be willing to travel within the provinces of the base office
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficiency with AutoCAD a must;
- Solid computer literacy in MS Office products;
- Proficiency with SpatialNet or NetworkX a plus;
- Knowledge of technical standards for the design of outside plant networks (asset);
- Knowledge of aerial and underground infrastructure, fiber, HFC, and coaxial system design (asset);
- The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self -starter who consistently demonstrates professionalism and willingly accepts responsibility;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- This person performs as a team player, always shows a positive attitude towards clients, and strives for constant improvement in process and delivery.
Education and Experience
Must be enrolled in an Engineering program. Minimum of 1-2 years of experience. Co-op/Internship experience preferred.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1584 Energy-CA Quebec
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 31, 2023, 3:19:08 PM
Req ID: 230000EY
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans