Civil Engineer-in-Training, Highways & Roads
City : Grande Prairie, AB
Category : T&I - Highways, Bridges & Roads
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
GRANDE PRAIRIE OR PEACE RIVER
WSP is currently seeking an Engineer-in-Training to join our Transportation Group, located at our Grande Prairie and Peace River Office in Northwest Alberta. This position involves, engineering assessments, field investigations, survey, quality assurance testing, construction supervision and inspections on a broad range of transportation projects on highways and rural roads, in NW Alberta.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Provide project support for various highway and road construction projects, which may include:
- Assist with preparing reports;
- Liaison with team members, clients and agencies;
- Contract administration and field inspection;
- Prepare technical analysis and design;
- Perform various construction supervision, surveys and/or materials testing (asphalt, granular base course, soils) for transportation engineering projects
- Must be willing to travel, work out-of-town and work overtime/weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Post-secondary degree in Engineering from an accredited university;
- 1-3 years of relevant experience is an asset;
- Registered as an EIT with APEGA or eligible for registration
- Experience in the use of survey instruments and equipment including Trimble GPS, Total Stations, and levels is an asset
- Experience in materials testing – asphalt, granular base course, soils – is an asset
- Knowledge of various software packages (Microsoft office, AutoCAD) is an asset;
- Adaptable to changing working environment
- Motivated, self-starter who can work well independently or with a team
- Good technical writing skills;
- Good command of English language, both written and verbal;
- Strong analytical, organization and management skills;
- Possess a valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license
- Periodic workloads and project locations may require being away from Edmonton for the project duration
- A strong work ethic, and good communication skills with the desire to excel and to achieve
- Sense of humor and a willingness to learn
- Enjoys being outdoors