Civil Engineer II (Senior Streets Design Engineer) – REPOST
City : Vancouver
Category : Engineering Services
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 38628
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Streets Design Engineer provides direct supervision and technical leadership to the Streets Design team, as well as Professional Engineering technical design input, review, studies, analysis, and advice for internal projects. This role acts as an Engineer of Record in accordance with EGBC and internal quality management procedures for the branch’s most complex design projects. This position also reviews civil engineering design drawings for works delivered through development or other internal departments, including liaising with other branches, consultants, and developers.
This position reports to the Section Head of Technical Services and works with a high degree of independence.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Management Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversees the activities of unionized and exempt staff, assigning and re-distributing duties as required to ensure operational efficiency
- Provides on-going review and decision making with respect to staffing levels, employee engagement and performance management
- Ensures adherence to fair and consistent processes in alignment with the collective agreement and Departmental priorities
- Coordinates with internal and external customers ensuring design services are provided in a timely and suitable manner, aligned with project schedules
- Develops, implements, and monitors quality control processes and procedures
Technical Duties & Responsibilities:
- In accordance with EGBC and internal quality management procedures, acts as an Engineer of Record for the detailed design of transportation related improvement or rehabilitation projects across the City, including but not limited to sidewalks, bike lanes, traffic calming, intersection upgrades, green rainwater infrastructure
- Provides technical review and advice for internal staff and external stakeholders
- Reviews development related civil engineering design packages, including coordinating with City staff and external stakeholders
- Communicates, negotiates, and sets requirements with other branches, stakeholders, developers, and consultants on streets and transportation design related issues
- Works with City staff to monitor construction, certify completion, and close out roadworks design projects, including asset acceptance;
- Leads internal studies and reviews of City streets design infrastructure, including details and standards
- Leads continual improvements of design standards according to industry best practices
- Assists in compiling and analyzing data, developing and monitoring metric and benchmarking programs, and making related recommendations, including departmental metrics and project and program related results
- Responds to resident service requests relating to City streets and transportation infrastructure
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- A minimum 5 years of experience in detailed road design, using AutoCAD Civil 3D, or an equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training
- Registration or eligibility to be registered as a Professional Engineer with EGBC
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Technical excellence in urban road design principles, processes & best practices
- Ability to act as Engineer of Record for Streets and Transportation design projects including detailed road design, overland drainage design, construction details, street widening, narrowing, or realignment to serve multiple transportation modes, sidewalk, paths, and plazas
- Working knowledge of contract law and MMCD contracts & specifications, experience with construction and technical contract management
- Experience managing medium to large design and construction projects
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, conflict resolution and communication skills
- Ability to lead and work collaboratively with professional staff engaged on a project
- Self-motivated and ability to work with little supervision
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills in a high-volume and high stress environment, and able to multi-task
- Proven ability to identify, analyze, report on and implement effective solutions to problems
- Strong customer service orientation with the ability to establish productive, professional working relationships at all levels of the organization
- Proven ability to deal with internal and external customers in a positive, courteous and respectful manner
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: October 2023
Salary Information: Salary Range 91: $106,345 to $132,936 per annum
Application Close: September 20, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.