Civil Engineer I (Zero Waste Project Engineer)
City : Vancouver
Category : Engineering Services
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 39196
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Zero Waste Project Engineer plays a crucial role in coordinating, managing, and applying technical expertise to plan, design, and implement solid waste programs and projects to help achieve the City’s Zero Waste and Public Realm Cleanliness goals. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical, organizational, collaboration, and communication skills, and have a passion for helping make our City an even better place.
This role presents an exciting opportunity to contribute to the City's Zero Waste goal, with a primary focus on reducing land-based litter and its adverse environmental impacts. Key projects include the design and implementation of on-street recycling and garbage collection infrastructure and programs, and managing a unique Street Cleaning Grant Program that offers employment support and life skills training for individuals facing barriers to employment through street micro-cleaning. Other projects involve reviewing rezoning and development applications from a Zero Waste perspective, working closely with Sanitation operations staff on operational improvements, and other waste-management related initiatives.
This position reports to the Senior Engineer of the Clean Streets Team and collaborates closely with Sanitation Operations staff. It entails a leadership role in managing programs and projects, including overseeing the work of Engineering Assistants.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide project and piloting/testing coordination and management, program and contract administration, including cost estimating, developing and monitoring work scope, performance metrics, budget and schedule;
- Prepare and/or review solid waste infrastructure drawings, and coordinate approvals from other stakeholders;
- Research, plan, design, complete and present technical and economic analyses for potential new, or modification to existing, City solid waste programs;
- Participate in or lead the writing, tendering, negotiating and award of contracts (goods, consultants and contractors) for solid waste programs and projects;
- Administering contracts related to the City’s management of solid waste operations and services;
- Drafting for senior staff, Council reports, memos, and responses to questions from members of Council on issues related to solid waste management;
- Developing public communications in collaboration with Corporate Communications and senior staff;
- Reviewing rezoning and development permit applications to ensure compliance with solid waste requirements and providing recommendations for applicants;
- Responding to inquiries internally from other City departments and externally from businesses, other municipalities, or the general public; and
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned to support senior staff and the City’s strategies and plans.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering and minimum of three years’ related experience in planning and implementing public works programs, ideally with experience in municipal solid waste management, waste reduction, recycling, composting and/or street cleaning programs, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer or Engineer-in-Training in British Columbia is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of municipal solid waste, recycling, composting, disposal and renewable energy programs, technologies and systems is preferred,
- Sound knowledge of project management methodologies, processes, policies and their application, including contract management of engineering projects.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to anticipate and manage multiple interacting and technically complex issues.
- Experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize actions in response to numerous and diverse demands.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive, productive working relationships with co-workers and outside organizations, and work collaboratively within a team environment with little supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to meet transportation requirements.
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2023
Position End Date: July 2025
Engineer-In-Training: Salary Range 60: $71,810 to $89,772 per annum
Professional Engineer: Salary Range 80: $92,864 to $116,070 per annum
Application Close: October 4, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.