City : Vancouver
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Civil Designer - ( 230001I8 )
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful.
Join an integrated team that is working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world. Our team works on diverse industry areas such as generation – thermal, hydropower and other renewable sources of energy, transmission and distribution, oil and gas, and mining.
Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. You’ll find yourself working with leaders in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
The role of a Junior Civil Engineering Designer is to work on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the close guidance and supervision of a senior engineer/designer.
As a Junior Civil Engineering Designer, you will assist more senior engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of civil engineering assignments (such as grading, servicing, stormwater management, etc.), and assist with producing general arrangements, layout and detail drawings.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Performs civil design using knowledge of relevant software programs.
- Participates, contributes, and executes civil scope related to earthworks, roads, buried services, grading and drainage.
- Develops basic 3D models for civil engineering designs.
- Develops conceptual plans, site layouts, grading plans and sections, underground utility plans, and stormwater drainage plans under the direction of the senior CAD designer and engineers.
- Performs quantity take-offs.
- Works with other engineering disciplines and professionals in the completion of the project under the direction of a senior engineer/ designer.
- Reviews project documents prior to issue for scope, presentation and quality against project standards and specifications.
- Conducts field visits during the design development process.
- Assists with engineering duties on projects of various complexity.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the senior engineering and design staff.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Basic understanding of general concepts of relevant areas of civil engineering designs.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Proficiency in design using AutoCAD and Civil 3D Software. Experience with other CAD software is an asset.
- Understanding of civil engineering design concepts for grading, drainage, earthworks, and roads.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent communication skills (interpersonal and written) and proven ability to collaborate with team members in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Good organizational skills, technical competence, and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently when required.
Education and Experience
Civil engineering technician / technology diploma from a recognized community college or the ability to demonstrate sufficient knowledge received from previous experience in a similar position.2 to 4 years of experience in engineering consulting or the construction industry.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina, Canada-Ontario-Sudbury, Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Alberta-Red Deer, Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver, Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton, Canada-Ontario-Markham
Organization : BC-1554 E&R BOU-CA Integrated Design
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 3, 2023, 7:07:29 AM
Req ID: 230001I8
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans