As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you’ll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that’s critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing — and we’re helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that’s working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
We are seeking Civil Site Supervisor(s) who is qualified, competent and experienced to supervise, inspect and monitor the scope of work required. The Civil Site Supervisor shall primarily be responsible for ensuring the work being performed is according to the technical terms and conditions in the contract, including but not limited to IFC drawings, technical specification, design change notices, and all other applicable technical standards (e.g. ASTM, CSA, etc). The Civil Site Supervisor is expected to establish site communication among relevant project team members, disciplines, contractors, customer and stakeholders. Expected to perform Inspector role until scopes warrant bringing on an Inspector due to volume or work or work of a more technical difficult nature.
Supervisor (s) – junior / intermediate / senior (refer and view academic and relative field experience requirements for the 3 levels, prior to submitting resume)
Junior - Driven Steel Piles, Screw Piles, and Fencing
- Graduate from a recognized university in Civil Engineering and registered as an Engineer-in-Training (or higher) with APEGA with a minimum of 3 years of experience in deep foundation construction.
- Or, a graduate from a recognized Civil Engineering Technology program and registered as a Technologist-in-Training (or higher) with ASET (through the inter-provincial transfer program) with a minimum of 5 years of experience in deep foundation construction.
Intermediate - Site Grading Scopes
- Graduate from a recognized university in Civil Engineering and registered as a Professional Engineer or eligible for registration with APEGA (through the inter-provincial mobility program) with a minimum of 5 years of experience in site grading and earthworks construction.
- Or, a graduate from a recognized Civil Engineering Technology program and registered as a Certified Engineering Technologist or Professional Technologist eligible for registration with ASET (through the inter-provincial transfer program) with a minimum of 7 years of experience in site grading and earthworks construction.
Senior - Cast-in-Place Concrete Piles
- Graduate from a recognized university in Civil Engineering and registered as a Professional Engineer or eligible for registration with APEGA (through the inter-provincial mobility program) with a minimum of 7 years of experience in concrete and concrete piling construction.
- Or, a graduate from a recognized Civil Engineering Technology program and registered as a Certified Engineering Technologist or Professional Technologist eligible for registration with ASET (through the inter-provincial transfer program) with a minimum of 9 years of experience in concrete and concrete piling construction.
The Civil Site Inspector will be inspecting and monitoring the execution of work according to the responsibilities in this document. The construction scope of work the Civil Site Inspector shall be responsible for inspecting could include (but is not limited to) earthworks, various types of foundation installations (cast-in-place concrete piles, driven piles, screw piles), and fencing installation. Inspections of additional construction scopes of work may be requested from time to time.
The work may be either “Greenfield” meaning new facilities on new land, or “Brownfield” meaning an expansion/replacement of existing facilities.
Supervisor and Inspector to comply with the below owner standards.
- Build it safely.
- Comply to the Environment Management System
- Comply with Owner and Code standards.
- Follow Owner policies and procedures.
- Manage the contractor to the signed contract
- Complete project within the budget
- Complete project on schedule
- Build in accordance to the design
- Handover a Quality product to Owner that meets the required Standards, Specifications and Drawings.
Your Key Responsibilities
Duties of the site supervisor are listed below but this list is not all inclusive. Additional duties may be added by the Owner, as necessary, depending upon project specific requirements. All policy and procedures required for the site supervisor to perform the responsibilities identified in this job description will be provided by the client. Any client specific safety training and safety support through execution will also be provided to the site supervisor as required.
The major responsibilities of the site supervisor shall include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Keep record of all HS&E, QA/QC and all other project relevant documentation and records on site, a handover to Owner is required as requested.
- Familiarization with project documentation, specifications, and drawings prior to mobilization – notification to Owner of any issues, concerns or discrepancies identified.
- Participate in construction start up meetings (pre-mobilization meeting) with the project team and the contractors.
- Provide Owner specific orientations to contractors prior to construction and during construction if required.
- Ensure all safety documents such as Emergency Response Plan, Safe Work Plans, Hazard Assessments, safety certifications for both equipment and employees, are reviewed, accepted and in place prior to construction start.
- Lead the site kick off meetings to ensure the project plan and expectations are clearly understood by the project team and the Contractor.
- Supervise, enforce and coordinate the daily work activities in accordance with the approved schedule, signed contract, engineering drawings, specifications, and HS&E terms and conditions to achieve project success.
- Administer detailed work plans and manage contractors as required on schedule, safety and cost.
- Ensure the limits of approach (for general public and equipment) are followed and request the supervision of a Qualified Utility Worker as required by the latest edition of the Alberta Electrical Utility Code (AEUC) – the Civil Construction Site Supervisor will not be responsible for directly supervising work requiring a Qualified Utility Worker, however they may be responsible for monitoring civil installation activities under the Qualified Utility Worker’s supervision.
- Perform continual quality and work observations to ensure consistent constructive feedback is provided to the contractor performing the work (minimum 1 per 8 day period of work).
- Attend weekly safety meetings led by contractors on worksite. Provide input and constructive feedback in the meetings as required.
- Ensure the scope of work being completed meets all technical requirements of the contracts (IFC drawing, specifications, and other reference standards as applicable)
- Ensure the Quality Management Plan, processes, and procedures are implemented during construction (contractor and Owner supplied), such as but not limited to: ITP’s, OFI reporting, as built (redlines), and 3rd party inspections.
- Ensure all 3rd party inspections are completed as required per specifications, standards and contract.
- Obtain all 3rd party inspection records from the contractor and maintain as part of quality records on site or submit to Owner if required.
- Ensure any failure to specification during testing by 3rd party is mitigated in accordance with engineering recommendation and approval.
- Correspond with ATCO Construction and Engineering groups if quality or constructability issues arise to determine an appropriate resolution and path forward.
- Participate in and lead (if required) the weekly progress meetings and recommend efficiencies on all aspects of the project.
- Responsible for the notification and reporting of all incidents and near misses that occur on the project to Owner.
- Review and Accept daily work plans submitted by the contractor and verify if the work is completed accordingly.
- Verify all work completed on daily basis through daily reports submitted by the contract or monthly basis prior to invoicing from the contractor.
- Manage change during construction according to the change management process.
- Track contractors’ performance throughout the project in detail according to the signed contract.
- Ensure tools and equipment supplied by contractors are in safe operating and mechanical condition and are inspected and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Prepare change requests, Requests for Information (RFI), site instructions and other documentation as required during construction phase.
- Ensure that a full walk down of the new site installations is conducted with the contractor and ATCO representative prior to completion; all required documents must be signed off and completed by the required parties.
- Site supervisor is to submit the weekly timesheets for hours to Owner for approval, which hence are attached during invoicing.
- The site supervisor maybe required to provide training and mentorship to other Owner employees.
- The site supervisor will be required to work closely with all Owner disciplines for improvements and innovation.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Must have construction experience related to earthworks, infrastructure construction, foundation installation (concrete and steel), structural steel, and drainage/erosion control practices (minimum expectations outlined below).
- Must have previous experience in construction and project management related to the above listed scopes of work.
- Must have previous experience in quality control and assurance related to the above listed scopes of work.
- Ability to firmly notify the contractor in the event of identified issues with safety, environment or quality – and to effectively resolve and manage any resulting onsite conflicts.
- Experience in the electrical power industry is a definite asset.
- Must be able to work effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Must be able to understand and interpret engineering, architectural and other construction drawings.
- Must be able to provide sound engineering judgement when unforeseen conditions are encountered.
- Exceptional computer skills and experience with the following software:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Project
- Scanning Software
- Must be capable of saving, naming, sorting, and organizing all project files (daily reports, photos, scale summaries, incidents, etc.) effectively and in a systematic fashion to ensure an efficient transfer of project documentation at the completion of the project.
- Valid province of Alberta Class 5 Operator's Driver License or equivalent.
Below will be required, and if you possess them would be an asset however Stantec will provide this training if you do not.
- First Aid/CPR Certification;
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS);
- WHMIS Certification of Training;
- Ground Disturbance Level II;
- H2S Certification.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Construction Management/Coordination
Primary Location: Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001EL