Ciena Transport – Senior Optical Test Engineer
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified below and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
The Senior Optical Test Engineering role is a key position reporting to the Leader of Optical Component Engineering. This would support the existing product offering as well as for the next generation of optical transport products (100G, 200G, 400G, 800G, Pluggables and more).
The successful candidate will work within the Design team environment and with the Operation test engineering team to create/maintain the calibration and test objectives, procedures & automation SW as well as define the product test specifications, help define the required test station hardware including the selection of the test equipment and the build out of test stations. It will also create the related hardware/software documentation for successful factory introduction and transfer to low cost CM’s of our new products test stations.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A team player who works collaboratively with cross-functional teams to achieve measurable and significant results exceeding customer expectations
- Provide technical expertise and opinion on test hardware and software architecture, back office and manufacturing control system integration for optical components
- Work with both internal and external partners to achieve key product performance criteria during the optical component product lifecycle
- Achieve high yields, manufacturing efficiency and continuous improvement in collaboration with overseas manufacturing
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of candidate will include:
- Participate in replication, transfer and support of test systems to overseas manufacturing partners.
- Drive continuous improvement of test hardware and automation software in collaboration with R&D, NPI team and manufacturing partners.
- Enhance fault isolation and troubleshooting tools over the life cycle of products through data mining / correlation
- Implement improvements through automation code updates
- Gauge R/R, station performance tracking and optimization
- Support failure analysis, root cause identification and corrective action implementation of components, sub-systems and field failures
- Support contract manufacturing partners for testing of prototype, pre-production and production runs
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross functional teams
- Ability to influence and partner with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to provide test hardware and automation software subject matter expertise
- Basic Technical understanding of Coherent Modems
- Understanding of InP and SiPhot optical components testing and manufacturing processes is a plus
- Strong analytical abilities to make decisions and influence based on technical data
- Strong communications skills, with ability to clearly articulate technical issues
- Clear sense of accountability
- Strong commitment to customer satisfaction
- Ability to travel 10% of time, primarily to Asia
- BS or MS degree in Electronics/Electrical Engineering/Engineering Physics or BS or MS degree in Computer science
- Optical components test experience- discrete coherent transmitter, receiver, pluggable module
- Basic electronic / PCBA experience, RF expertise desirable
- Test automation software development (C, C++, C#), Matlab expertise
- Experience with National Instrument test tools
- Experience with optical test instruments- OSA, polarization controller, PNA, high speed ‘scope
- Database, data analysis tool expertise
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.