CHIEF ENGINEER - COURTNEYPARK
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a leading Canadian consumer protein company, making high quality, innovative products under national brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. The Company employs approximately 11,000 people in its operations across Canada and exports to global markets including the U.S. and Asia. The Company is headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
The incumbent will be responsible for the total operation of the plant in accordance with the TSSA Act 2000 and Operating Engineers Regulation (ONReg#219/01).
- Ensure total care and control of ammonia based plant
- Participates in the development of a preventative maintenance program for areas under his/her responsibility with the Maintenance and Manufacturing Departments
- Ensures daily plant inspection of the ammonia-refrigeration and steam boiler systems and that all systems are operating in a safe and expected manner
- Ensures the recording of data and all relevant information to the operation of the plant under the Chief Engineer's jurisdiction
- Assesses the performance of the operating engineers and takes appropriate actions in line with Company policy and TSSA Act 2000
- Has a bias for action to reduce energy consumption be it gas, electricity, water, and ammonia usage.
- Undertakes capital projects to improve operating performance of the plant in consultation with the Maintenance Manager and Plant Manager
- Provides leadership by instilling safety, objectives, and measurements; fosters good staff relationships in order to gain commitment from all employees
- Conducts detailed diagnostic audits of each plant, using Six Sigma processes and techniques and provides coaching and direction to the plant's management team
- Negotiates and partners with utility companies and urban government representatives
- Proven team leader, team player, committed to excellence, positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills
- Willingness to take on additional responsibilities as position requires, including acting as operating engineer as required.
- Recognize, support and commit to the facility food safety and quality assurance promise
- Other responsibilities as required
PREFERRED HIRING CRITERIA:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
- Possesses and maintains a valid and current certificate at all times as a 2nd Class Stationary Engineer and / or Refrigeration ‘A’ Operator
- 6-9 years of maintenance experience in a unionized environment
- Experience with Process Improvement Methodologies (Six Sigma, TPM, etc.)
- Experience driving Preventative Maintenance Systems
- Working knowledge of computer software and computerized maintenance systems
- Excellent planning, analytical and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication, leadership skills and the ability to work in a team
- Knowledge of PLC systems with ability to troubleshoot problems preferred
- Experience in a Food Processing or Manufacturing environment would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership ability
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com
or 905-285-5862. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.