A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
Chemical Technologist – Puslinch, ON The Opportunity:
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
As a Chemical Technologist, you will join an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory for the purposes of supporting Maple Leaf Foods’ Food Safety Promise and ensuring that the highest standards of food quality are maintained. This role will allow you to operate a number of different pieces of laboratory equipment, provide opportunities to participate in the development of new analysis techniques and develop transferrable skills to build upon your career. A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Analysis: Perform testing on samples received into the lab as directed by the lab supervisor or delegate and accurately report results into appropriate test forms or databases. This may include the handling of hazardous chemicals/materials. Participation in proficiency testing and internal or external audits is required.
- Projects: Design and implement viable experiments for investigative projects. This includes the development of the experimental design, conducting the investigation, and forming conclusions. Creating a summary report which includes raw data, project hours and supply usage.
- Develop/modify procedures and test methods and perform verification/validation of methods as needed.
- Perform startup/ shut down procedures for the Laboratory. This may include equipment start-up/shut down, laboratory disinfection / cleaning, incubator/ refrigerator checks, balance checks, pH etc.
- Calibrate and maintain testing equipment and record calibration / maintenance activities and results as per laboratory technical procedures and/or work instructions.
- Enter test results/ data into the laboratory database. Enter data onto laboratory forms. Verify the accuracy of data entered.
- Assist in the training of newly hired laboratory staff.
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
Minimum: B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in relevant sciences; Chemistry (preferred) or Biochemistry with emphasis on food/environmental chemistry. Minimum 1 year of work experience in a chemistry laboratory or food industry.
• Strong multi-tasking capability and comfortable with routine work
• Competent computer skills
• Must be business, results and values oriented, work as part of a functional team, abide by the company’s Code of Business Conduct, be able to display impartiality and be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership values.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com
. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.