Camp Counsellors – Summer Employment (June 2024 – August 2024)
City : Hamilton
Category : Mohawk College Foundation
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Summer Employment (June 2024 – August 2024)
Hours: June – 35 hrs/week, July & August – 42.5 hrs/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: $17.25
Posting Date: December 18th, 2023
Closing Date: January 23rd, 2024 at 7:00 pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for Camp Counsellors, Mohawk Summer Camp.
This position will report to the Camp Coordinator and will be responsible for ensuring campers have fun in a safe and nurturing environment over the course of our 8-week Summer Camp in July and August for ages 4-12.
Counsellors must diligently enforce camp rules and safety protocols to mitigate risks to campers, fellow counsellors and the community; must be able to deal with camper behaviour and act a role model to campers.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities.
- Leading activities for a group of campers as assigned by the Head Counsellor.
- Create a fun, enjoyable, and safe atmosphere for campers.
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and positive interactions in every session with campers and your peers; coming to each session prepared.
- Engaging with each camper as they work through activities, and showing an interest in each camper.
- Ensuring that all campers under your care are treated equally, consistently and fairly.
- Assuming the responsibility of leadership with consistent and specific direction in the supervision of campers.
- Using only Camp Coordinator approved websites, online tools and videos in camp activities.
- Demonstrating emotional maturity, a positive attitude, thoughtfulness and stability in decision-making.
- Being self-confident and able to accept and adopt constructive feedback.
- Providing appropriate feedback to, and communication with parents/guardians whenever needed, and immediately when emergency contact with parents/guardians is required.
- Following all daily camp procedures and practices.
- Carrying out other reasonable duty requests from any member of the Camp leadership team.
- Ensuring sessions are running smoothly and that campers are following the guidelines.
- Ensuring each session has the material needed to run smoothly by creating different games and activities for campers aged 4-12 to engage in as they work through the program material.
The successful candidate will have:
- Completion of high school diploma or current student in post-secondary seeking a career path working with children or similar experience working with children between the ages of 4-12.
- Standard First Aid with CPR Level 'C' (Required).
- Vulnerable Sector Check - VS Checks are to be obtained from the Municipality in which you permanently reside at your own expense. Please check your local Police Services website to confirm what identification is required, cost and payment method. Upon an offer you must provide an original VS Check as indicated above with a "Date of Search" of less than sixty (60) days from hire date. VS Checks greater than sixty (60) days will not be accepted.
- Experience working with children aged 4-12 in a camp, coach or recreational setting.
- Experience in a customer-facing role.
- Experience with neurodiverse people considered an asset.
- Experience with parent communication in a professional setting is considered an asset.
- Effective communication skills both written and verbally.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others including senior management.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all information related to children, parents, and staff.
- Lead by example; be a role model for campers and staff.
- A spirit of patience, positivity, compassion and fun!
- Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of hire.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/